Solved

Webroot Android - Warning of "Unknown Sources" setting is Unsafe when upgrading to Android 8.0 Oreo

• 4 September 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Android 8.0 Oreo revamps "Install from Unknown Sources" from the device level to an individual app level.
Last week I downloaded the Android 8.0 Oreo upgrade (Verizon OTA) onto my Google Pixel phone and since then, Webroot's Android app has been giving the security warning that the "Unknown Sources" setting is Unsafe. 

There's no way to fix this in the existing Webroot Android app (production and beta) since "Install from Unknown Sources" is no longer part of the Android's Security setting on the whole device level.  It is now a per individual app setting in the App Notifications setting.

For more info on Android 8.0 Oreo "install from unknown sources" changes:  https://www.androidcentral.com/android-o-unknown-sources
"Here's why sideloading apps is safer with Android Oreo"

Patrick
icon

Best answer by SophiaC 5 September 2017, 21:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for letting us know.  This is a known issue with Android Oreo, and we plan to fix it in the near future.  For now, we recommend ignoring this message.

Sophia
Bump, any solutions for this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
This was fixed in version 5.0.0.10759, which is available now in Google Play.
Hi I foind this thread after upgrading my Galaxy S8+ to Oreo 8.0 (AT&T). I noticed you said it is fixed in version 5.0.0.10759, but we are running Secure Anywhere Mobile Business Security and the latest version seems to be 4.2.0.8078.

Will this client be upgraded soon as well?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @

Yes, we are currently preparing a business release to resolve this issue.

In the meantime, you can either ignore the warnings or put Android 8 devices under a policy that turns the "Unknown Sources" shield off.  

Kind regards,
Sophia C
I've updated to the latest version, and it does not fix the warning
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @,

The fix will be the upcoming update, version 5.1.x.  It is not yet available, but it will be soon.  Sorry for the confusion.

Kind regards,