Every time I reboot my phone I get a "Threat detected" message from Webroot

• 18 July 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
Every time I reboot my phone I get a "Threat detected" message from Webroot ...
The offending file name is "cRz3SAsz.apk.part". The crazy thing is that Google has never ever heard of this file.  That alone is odd.   
Can someone tell me how to get rid of this thread once and for all.  I remove it every time I reboot my device.

Thanks!

2 replies

Badge +1
Greetings! 

Is this an Android device? I'm assuming so. 

If webroot reports a threat all the time, yet can't remove it, that's a communication issue between the agent (your phone) and the webroot servers. Uninstall that app, reinstall it. (go to the play store and download the 'mobile free' app. If you're a paying customer use your Webroot product keycode on the activation screen, otherwise tap 'skip' and a keycode will be genretated for you. Please update this thread if that doesn't resolve your issue.

Thanks! 
Userlevel 7
Hi tjmitchie

Welcome to the Community Forums.

From what I can find via research PART files (.part extension) are files that have only been partially downloaded by a download application. This happens when the download manager in use stores a portion of the file that you are downloading on your hard drive as the download is occurring.

Some download managers break large downloads up into smaller segments or parts, which are given the .part extension. The se are then combined, i.e., all the .part files, into the whole file post download, with the combined .part files renamed with the proper file extension.

So it sounds that what WSA has found may be such a part of a download that has not completed/has been interrupted.

Given the uncertainty I would defer to the Professionals at Webroot on this one and I would therefore Open a Support Ticket to get the Support Team investigate and make sure precisely what this detection is down to. This service is free to users with an active subscription.

Hope that helps? Please post back and let us knw what the SupportTeam come backto you with on this. The feedback will be useful in helping us help users in future.

Regards, Baldrick

For information; I understand popular programs that commonly use the .part file extension include eMule and Go!Zilla.