Solved

Uninstall. App failed.What can I do?

How can I unistall a threat app I don' find on my device??
icon

Best answer by ingrid1 7 April 2015, 23:43

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ingrid1

Welcome to the community Forums.

First of all may I aask how you know you have a 'treat app' on your device if you cannot find it?  What has alreated you to the possibility that you may have a threat?  And also what device are we referring to?  PC, Mac, Android smartphone or tablet, or Apple products, etc?

A little more detail would be appreciated so that we can try to hlp you.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Baldrick
2 vrus scanners told me so. In both cases when I clicked “uninstall“ the result was “uninstall failed“. Then i searched the app on my Kindle Fire and didn't find it. New try with virus scanners, same result.
Userlevel 7
Hi ingrid1

I should caution that some AV scanners are prone to false positives.  Have you tried a scan with WSA?  If not then please do so and report back the result.  If you have then what was the result of that?

Also, are you noticing any strange behaviour on your system; popup ads, change in search engine proposed when yo click on a link, being redirected to strange and unexpected web pages, system running slower than usual, etc.

If so then please provide details as that will help too.

Regards, Baldrick
Hi Baldrick,
I haven't tried with WSA - too expensive for just a try - but I AM redirected and I receive strange pop- us from 1 normally trusted sender. I have deleted his emails last e-mails.
Regards, Ingrid, and thank you for your patience!
Userlevel 7
Hi Ingrid

Understand, but are you iin the US or UK?  If in the US then the SecureAnywhere Mobile For Android™ Premier app is showing up as retailing at $4.99  (instead of $19.99) on the Webroot website (http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/android) and if that is too pricey then you can download the Free version that includes Antivirus functionality, for nothing.

Have to say that I am assuming that you are referring to issues with an Android device as ytou have posted in this forum?

Regards, Baldrick

Thank you Baldick, I'm in Spain! I'll try to buy it in the US.
Yes, you are right, I am referring to issues with Android devices.
Regards, Ingrid
Userlevel 7
Hi Ingrid

Webroot have a Spanish website, if that is of any help, and this is the same page on that site as I provided earlier:

http://www.webroot.com/es/es/home/products/android

And it looks like you have the choice of the free app or the Premier one...at $4.99 also.

So it could be your lucky day.

If you are tempted then please take a look at the following KB Articles; one on choosing the right version (here) and the other about installation under Android (here).

And if you have any issue you can always post back here or you can Open a Support Ticket so that the Support Team can investigate and try to resolve the issue for you...this is a service free to all users with an activie subscription/keycode.

Regards, Baldrick
Thank you so much, Baldrick!
Regards,
Ingrid
Userlevel 7
Ingrid, you are most welcome.

Have a great Easter and let us know if you decide to take the plunge and join the Webroot Family.

I still have a small concern about your original issue of "threat app I don' find on my device" but hopefully if you do decide to install Webroot that will be the start to clarifying the issue.

Regards, Baldrick
Hi Baldrick, so sorry. I bought the app in the US but the problem still persists. I opted for ignoring.
Have a nice Easter,
Ingrid
Userlevel 7
Hi Ingrid

No worries.

WOuld you provide us with more details on the issue?  What exactly is the threat idenitfied as?  Have you scanned with Webrtoot?  And if so what was the result?

Regards, Baldrick
Hi Baldrick,
The threat is com.android.providers. I tried with webroot premium, which detected it as all the others but was unable to uninstall or move it to quaratin, too.
Regards,
Ingrid
Userlevel 7
Hi Ingrid

I believe that this is a false positive as com.android. providers is coming up as part of a pre built in application to your phone (is it a Samsung by any chance?), and if that is the case then it cannot and should nlot be uninstalled or removed, at least not without getting it checked out first.

So please open that support ticket (the link for which I provided earlier in the thread), include a link to this thread and let the Support Team take a look.  The should be able to tell if it is legitimate in which case it is most likely a false positive or if it is malware and then can advise as to how to deal with it.

Keep us posted on what you decide and if you open the ticket then what response you get back, etc.

Regards, Baldrick
The full name was com.android.providers.confirm. In case thaz helps.
Ingrid
The phone is a Sony.
Userlevel 7
Hi Ingrid

That all helps.  There are numerous reports of malwqare versions of this file runningarond, aand as the only way to remove it if it is malware is to root your phone (not for the faint hearted, and would also void your warranty) I would DEFINately open that support ticket ASAP, so the Support Team can take a look for you.

Regards, Baldrick
Hi Baldrick
Thank you so much for your help! The Support Team detected and corrected this false positive and will release a new definition set with those corrections.
Regards
Ingrid