Solved

Alerts on undeliverable messages i did not send?

• 21 November 2016
  • 3 replies

I use Outlook for my email. A while back I started getting batches of alerts for "mail undeliverable" for messages I did not send. Apparently some kind of hack. I changed my password for all three email accounts I use and it quieted down.
Now it has started again.  Is there something else I can do?  I'm afraid it will be a real hassle if I activate the Secure Password Authentication setting as I access my email from 3 devices - laptop, phone and tablet.  Suggestions?
icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 21 November 2016, 21:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello thomasljb,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Sorry to hear of this issue. I believe this is called Spoofing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing

This is what I have found about this:

Steps to be taken if your mail Identity has been spoofed
  • Report about the Spoofed mails to your Internet Service provider and notify them through Email.
  • Change your password immediately for all your other email accounts.
  • Enable Sender filtering
  • Enable recipient filtering
  • Further do not respond to any mails which have personal information from the forged Mail ID
  • Add and update the block list regularly with the spammers, either their domain name or their email addresses
  • Download Exchange tools and RUN it to make sure your server is safe and healthy
Stick to the following rules to prevent your system from Spoofing attacks:
  • Always keep your computer system updated with a good anti virus software
  • Do not open the mail if you do not recognize the sender.
  • Ignore any mails with comes without sender names
  • Ignore any mail which has your name in the sender details
  • Do not open any mails if it has only a link in the body of the message
  • ·Enable the option of Filter messages with blank senders
  • Make use of any of the three Email authentication systems( Sender policy framework or SenderID or Domain Keys Identified Mails)
@do you have any advise?

Thanks for the help.  Changed the password and didn't get any "undeliverable" messages today! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello thomasljb,

Awesome! You are most welcome!

Enjoy your evening!:D