Solved

Antivirus Protection Rating

• 27 December 2016
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Why has Webroot Antivirus protection fallen from #1 or #2 to approx. #8?  Webroot was the highest rated for several years, but PC Matic's latest TV ad indicates that Webroot has fallen in the ratings.  What is the real story?  Thank you
icon

Best answer by Jasper_The_Rasper 28 December 2016, 13:36

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello wilblack,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Please have a look here at this post.

I don't believe this PC Matic Ad has a fair rating for Webroot.

Userlevel 7
Hi wilblack

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Personally I would not take the slightest bit of notice of what PCPictop, the creators or 'pushers' of PCMatic have to say on the subject since as far as I aware/I have read they are not a well reagrded source in this area.

Rather take a look at this PCMag review of WSA which is far more objective and useful. 

Regards, Baldrick
Well wilback, let me ask you this. Have you personally searched out any online reviews of  PC Matic ? Spend some time researching it and prepare yourself to be disappointed with the results. Truth be told, Webroot rates quite high among independent testers. Independent Testers have no skin in the game, they report...you decide. Its that simple.

PC Matic spends a great deal of money on advertising whereas Webroot prefers to spend a great deal of their money on research and developing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Hi and welcome to the Community @

I think this article on the Malwarebytes web site sums things up perfectly.

Why Malwarebytes detects PC Pitstop as Potentially Unwanted

Userlevel 7
Excellent article, Jasper, unless you are PC Pitstop...LOL ;)
Userlevel 2
Thank you Jasper for the very informative Malwarebytes article. PC Pitstop & PC Matic seem to push users and inquirers to purchase unneeded services and allows for silent removal of necessary applications. The finding that PC Pitstop’s products can allow attackers to take control of your machine is the very worst.
Userlevel 2
From your referenced post I can see that the real issue is how the WSA looks for active threats where PC Matic looks for all threats. Therefore WSA receives bad marks in Av-Test's tests because current testing parameters require the antivirus to find all threats. Thank you for your helpful response.
Userlevel 2
Baldrick, the PCmag article of April 15, 2016 on Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus 2015 provides reassurance that WSA is an outstanding antivirus protector with a 4.5 of 5 rating. And the bottom line that WSA remains the smallest, fastest antivirus around, and aced the malware-blocking test is enough to convince me. Thank you for your response
Userlevel 7
Hi wilblack

Thank you for the feedback. You are most welcome and we are glad to have been able to assist.

And if you have not already seen it then this video of Cloud Anti Malware vs Traditional may be of interest:

Regards, Baldrick
Badge +5
Why has Webroot Antivirus protection fallen from #1 or #2 to approx. #8?  Webroot was the highest rated for several years, but PC Matic's latest TV ad indicates that Webroot has fallen in the ratings.  What is the real story?  Thank you

That’s simply beacuse it has taken limited number of independent lab tests.