Solved

Antivirus v Application Errors? Help!

• 15 December 2013
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
:@  Hi Peeps!

I have your Webroot SA Antivirus but have been getting a lot of Application Error pop-ups over the last day or so, these say: 

iexplore.exe Application Error the instruction at 0x03110f22 referenced memory at ox00000001.  The memory could not be written.  Click on OK to close the programme.  Some are slightly different. 

I've also just had a notice from Microsoft about their Malicious Software Removal Tool Dec 13 and after visiting their web page, to find if it was one of theirs, ran it, which has detected and partially removed 'Win32/Rotbrow'. Shouldn't the Antivirus have been pointing these out and removed them?  Can you tell me what they are and what I can do to stop them and fix the problem?  I ran S. A . Antivirus after each pop-up but nothing was detected so whats going on? Would it pick these up or is it something I have to manually sort out? 

icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 16 December 2013, 02:49

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Linda it's hard to say but it would be best to contact the Webroot Support Inbox to make sure you are Malware free also they can tell you what was going on.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Will do, thanks Daniel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You're very welcome as always Linda! 😉 Happy Holiday Season.

Daniel
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Crikey! (for want of a better expletive) I just did a couple more scans, one a Dell hardware scan and everything froze on me. I couldn't finish the note I was sending to Webroot cos the keyboard froze then the scan cancelled itself, I got a couple more App Errors but Antivirus scan found nothing! T'is a puzzlement! Trying again....
Userlevel 2
You can always try doing a System Restore prior to when this problem started to occur. Sometimes the latest Windows Updates can give people problems. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Mmm, I'm very nervous about doing stuff like that as I'd panic and wouldn't know what to do if something went wrong! Anyone tell me if it'd be OK to run Microsoft Security Essentials 13 as well as WSA
Userlevel 2
Nothing to be nervous about. Its built right into Windows itself. Its there for a reason and you can always undo after words. System Restore has been built into Windows since the XP days. People do it all the time and its a normal practice. As far as MSE goes Webroot is designed to work along side any antivirus. But MSE has the worst detection rates around. So your better off using WSA alone. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
If I do a System Restore for say, 7 days ago, will all my recent work/data be lost?
Userlevel 2
Most of the time it does not touch your documents. But you can easily back them up onto a USB stick or burn them on a CD. If you use Gmail you have 10GB of cloud storage. If documents and pictures are that important on any pc they should be backed up. Especially if your hard drive fails. If your hard drive fails EVERYTHING will be gone. Sure you can pay $2000 for a company to get back your data but thats absurd. Is 7 days ago before this started to happen? 

Where is your recent work/data being stored and or being conducted? Do you save everything in your documents folder? What OS are you using?
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Most of the work I do is with Word, downloading music/videos and with Adobe Reader x (PDF files), all stored respectively in their own folders ie. Word - Documents, Music - Music, Videos - Videos, etc. I do a Windows back-up when prompted, around every 2/3 weeks, I know I should do it more often but don't use laptop much, onto disc. OS + Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64bit. Would you recommend a particular browser? I'm using Google at the moment but wonder if there are any better ones.
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda!

If you have not used System Restore, make sure you read about it carefully and know how to use it to make sure you do not lose data.  While I agree that GTR707 is correct and that System Restore can be easy to use, however there are two big concerns here,

1) Using system restore is considered to be a last resort step to many of us on the Community.  If there is another alternative, that might want to be explored first.

2) I have seen many many instances in which a new computer user unfamiliar with System Restore and System Recovery (There is a HUGE difference) accidentally delelted all files with no way to recover.

I urge you to read about using System Restore carefully before attempting it, and possibly consider consulting with someone more familiar with it to show you how to use it correclty before attempting it yourself.
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Ooooohhh! Yeah, I thought it would be much more involved than just a few clicks and there you go - back to a nice new Dell laptop! He he, wishfull thinking eh?!
I've been looking at the Dell System History which shows all the problems I've had since I bought the thing. Just recently, about the time all this bother started, there's been quite a few critical events, Application Errors and Programme changes! The only thing I've added is an HP Printer, the last time it was 'healthy' was back in July, I can't think what I'm doing. Could Windows or Adobe Reader updates do this?
Userlevel 7
Well, it is not ALL that complicated, and your comments about 'System Restore for say, 7 days ago' show you should be in the right spot and will probably be OK, I just want to make sure you really read about it before using it.  Most of the time I have seen when big trouble resulted is when they were not where you were looking at that time.

I have, though, seen times when something did go wrong during the restore and make things go from bad to worse, which is why many of us reserve that as the last resort.  If we can find a different solution, even if a little more complicated, it is sometimes preferable.  

:)

Oh, and it is good to see you on here again!
Userlevel 7
As for could Windows and Adobe Reader Updates cause problems, well in theory the answer would be no, but in reality they can cause problems.  As with all software, sometimes a bad update gets through Quality Assurance (testing) and ends up causing problems.  

Windows in particular has seen several of those situations over the last several months.
Userlevel 7
Linda, 

Again, as I have already said, that utility is not rocket science and it is not hugely complicated to use.  But I stand by what I said about it being the last resort and I would suggest you contact Webroot Support for advice as well.