Brainy virus attack on Google Chrome

Yesterday I got attacked from a webpage that locked up Chrome, and put an extension called "Brainy" in Chrome.  It made it impossible to view my Chrome extensions, if I tried, it only showed Apps instead.  That made it impossible for me to access the extensions, so I could get rid of it.  I searched the Net, and found a couple of posts on this Brainy virus.  I had to restore Windows 7 to an earlier date to get rid of it, because the virus made changes to my Registry.  After the restore, I could access the extensions in Chrome, and found the Brainy extension and deleted it, and everything was fine then.  My question is, WHY did my Webroot not catch this?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello, @!!

I can't speak exactly to the hijack you encountered, but I can say that using an Adblocker does an excellent job of preventing popups/getting your Browser locked. Here are the 2 most preferred:

uBlock Origin - Chrome Web Store
AdBlock - Chrome Web Store

When I worked in Tech Support, I would install an AdBlocker in every customer's Browser that I remoted onto. It helps make your Internet viewing experience a much smoother one.

Speaking of Support, please do also always remember that our Team will be happy to address any threat related issues like the one you encountered. Just submit a ticket or give them a ring!

Send us a Support Ticket
Support Number: 1-866-612-4227 M-F 7am?6pm MT

Thank you, and I do use Adblocker.  This was not a popup, as I define popups, this was a whole webpage that jumped up and locked my browser and I kept hitting cancel and tried to close the tab.  the options, were install extension and cancel.  I may in my haste clicked the install instead of cancel once, in trying to close the tab down.  Even if I did accidently hit install, it was still a virus extension, and I thought Webroot would have caught it and blocked it.
Userlevel 7
In that case, you should always get our Support Team involved via the information provided above.

In fact, it's probably a good idea for them to review your Computer now to ensure nothing suspicious is still lurking. I've opened a case on your behalf with the Team, they'll be reaching out to you shortly.