cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Button Color/Shading (in Block/Allow Files)

New Voice

Button Color/Shading (in Block/Allow Files)

Within the “PC security settings> Block/Allow Files”, the shading of the Buttons,  “Allow”, “Block”, “Monitor” is inverted to what is intuitively easy to understand.

Since I am a predominantly a visual person, it has taken me some months to realise that the dark, “hole” shaded buttons are in fact the selected ones and the highlighted, solid-white buttons are the un-selected ones.  My common sense regarding such shading overpowered my confusion as to why two buttons always remained selected (solid-white) instead of just one.

Intuitively,

1.      a dark, empty, hole with a bright rim around it (at first glance) looks just that: empty/un-selected.

2.      a button with a highlighted, solid-white, filled-in-look stands out as selected.

I wonder how many other people have noticed (been temporarily confused with) the same thing without complaining about it?

6 REPLIES
Highlighted
Gold VIP

Re: Button Color/Shading (in Block/Allow Files)

Hi RonM

Am afraid that convention in this area is exactly as WRSA works...a radio button is deemed to be 'active' or 'On' when shaded, and 'Off' when not shaded/when white. So your sense on this is in fact not 'common'.

I work in IT and more specifically with software developers and I can assure you that is how almost all commercial applications do it in relation to radio button...having said that it is only a 'convention' and so there actually no hard and fast rules...but as I said...they way it is in WRSA is in fact 'conventional'.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.17.28, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7

New Voice

Given that I agree with that 'convention' too, I wonder why I did not pick up on that for some months. I wonder whether it relates to that fact that I grew up in an era where indicator lights and pilot lights that are lit are on and those that are dark (un-lit) are off.

Gold VIP

Hi RonM

Could be...it could well be...and as to why the 'convention' is the way it is is hard to tell. The best I can rationalise this is that faced with a multiple choice questionnaire, the answers per questions are blank and one signifies one's choice by ticking or shading the box that corresponds to the answer that one want to indicate as being correct. I suppose that it would be difficult for obvious reasons to turn that on its head; have all the boxes available shaded/filled and then to have the person answering the questionnaire rub out the shading?

Perhaps it is as simple as that...I don't really know...other than what the 'convention' is...but as I have already stated...it is just a 'convention' not a hard and fast rule.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.17.28, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7

New Voice

Hi Baldrick,

I understand what you have so clearly explained. Thanks!

Also, given that these white buttons have slight shading (are not completely blank), I think that their brightness contrasts with the dark (green) background, giving the perception that they are active/on. Whereas dark grey against the dark (green) background, gives the initial impression of un-selected (even "greyed-out"). It takes a bit of concentration to force myself to against such initial bias. I assume that if the shaded buttons were a bright colour (instead of grey), they would not give the impression of being inactive.

On the other hand (as convention goes), white buttons or boxes on white background intuitively always would look un-selected and inactive.

It just goes to show that simply following a rule-of-thumb does mostly succeed, but not in all circumstances.

Regards,

Ron

Gold VIP

Hi Ron

I cannot & would not dispute what you say. Smiley Wink

All of this just goes to illustrate how difficult it can be to get it 'right' for everyone, when it comes to design. In this case there is no right or wrong...just a case of what is meant to be conveyed and what is actually understood.

May I suggest that if you have ideas for making WRSA's GUI clearer, etc. that you head over to the Ideas Exchange and submit a feature request based on what you have advised in this thread.

The feature requests are reviewed regularly by Community Management & the Development Team so this is the best way to get your ideas out in the open, plus given that they are fellow members can comment on the idea, support it with their comments and also show support by assigning kudos to it.

Anyway, hope that I have helped in some small way?

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

New Voice

Good Idea! Thanks.