Bypass malware check?

• 13 September 2015
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
I have an Steganos Security Suite upgrade that I downloaded which Webroot flags as containing malware.  I'm as certain as I can be that it doesn't.  (Malwarebytes reports nothing.)  How can I a) further test if it contains malware and if not 2) how can I turn off Webroot's malware check?

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Contact Webroot's official support, they will request you to create a log for them to go through and find out why this is being detected.

https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Userlevel 7
Hi Illumination

If I may just precise...there is generally no need for additional logging as the current Scan & Threat logs on one's system are automatically uploaded to Webroot as part of the Suport Ticket being opened...so in general they have all the information they need. If, as is the case in some very rare cases, they require additional information then they will ask the OP to download an additional logging app which they are then instructed to run...but as I said that is a rare occurrence.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 6
?  That is interesting to know, thank you. I was wondering, as i had a false positive some time back and upon submitting it, they requested i ran that seperate log to see if anything else was casuing the issue. This looked to be of the same issue.
Userlevel 7
Well, Illumination, I may be wrong about this as I am only going on what one of the Threat Researchers (now a retired Webrooter) posted some time back.

Perhaps, the Scan & Threat Logs are only uploaded in specific circumstances, rather than each time as I thought I had understood...? would you be able to advise on us this point? Many thanks in anticipation.

Illumination, hopefully we will get a definitive answer on this shortly...it will be good to know definitively one way or the other.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
I may be wrong as well, as i have only had the one instance, and that was how it proceeded. It would be good to know either way for future references.
Userlevel 7
Yeppers, hopefully DanP will be able to square that one away easily as and when he has the time to come over here and advise.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
Well, Illumination, I may be wrong about this as I am only going on what one of the Threat Researchers (now a retired Webrooter) posted some time back.

Perhaps, the Scan & Threat Logs are only uploaded in specific circumstances, rather than each time as I thought I had understood...@ would you be able to advise on us this point? Many thanks in anticipation.

Illumination, hopefully we will get a definitive answer on this shortly...it will be good to know definitively one way or the other.

Regards, Baldrick
There log files that are automatically uploaded don't always contain all of the information we need to troubleshoot an issue. Sometimes they are not uploaded at all, and sometimes only one of the two logs are uploaded as is the case with the ticket from @ here. Whether or not we need to collect logs varies by case.

-Dan
Userlevel 6
Thank you ? That is good to know for future reference..
Userlevel 7
Cheers, Dan

Much obliged.  I suppose that therefore our advice to users should be to opne the support, assume that the logs have bene uploaded automatically and if further information is required by Support it will be asked for on a case by case basis?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
Cheers, Dan

Much obliged.  I suppose that therefore our advice to users should be to opne the support, assume that the logs have bene uploaded automatically and if further information is required by Support it will be asked for on a case by case basis?

Regards, Baldrick
Yes, suggest they submit a support ticket with at least a basic descrtiption of the issue, and if we need more information the support agent will request it. It really depends on the user and the issue. 

-Dan