Could really use some help - getting hacked

• 22 March 2016
  • 5 replies

Really long story much shorter:

I got hacked pretty badly a few weeks back. Amazon, Paypal, email and Ebay accounts were all accessed in the middle of the night and the hacker purchased about $3,000 worth of items. The same night my girlfriend got hacked as well. We don't use the same computer, the only thing that we share computer-wise is our home wifi connection, and it's a secure WiFi using WPA2 and a randomly generate key-code. Of course I locked down all my accounts, changed passwords and after a few dozen phone calls got my money back. I had been using very strong passwords, but only running MSE for antivirus. I decided to beef up my security, so I got Webroot and installed it on all my machines. (Windows 8 laptop at home and Windows 7 workstation at the office - I have to run Windows 7 due to a specialty software package for my company) Both computers are up-to-date on OS / security updates.

After installing Webroot, running full scans and cleaning up any items that were detected, I changed all my passwords again. 1 week later, I was hacked again... Amazon and PayPal accessed again from Ghana. Luckily I was still awake at 3am when it started happening and I could lock down my accounts and change my passwords again before they completed any purchases. The question is, how did that hack me again? I'm a tech-proficient guy... not giving away my passwords on fake sites, I know I wasn't phished, all my passwords are different... how did they get my passwords and login, when I had fresh passwords and I was running Webroot? Scanned multiple times since then and nothing is detected.

Any advice on what's going on would be helpful.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello wlowe

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

So sorry to hear of these issues. I am not an expert but I would call my ISP provider and maybe they can reset your Modem/Router for you. But I would tell them what has been happening and see if they can help you.

I would also Google how do I get hacked with Wifi? Also have you checked for any Firmware updates for your router?

If you want to have peace of miind you can always Submit a Support Ticket which is free of charge withan active subscription. They can check this our for you as well.

Sorry I could not help you more.
Thanks for the reply, Sherry. I gues it obviously seems like a targetted attack, for the hacker to gain passwords and do damage from 2 separate computers, with 2 separate people's personal info, all in the same night. So does this mean there's litterally a person in a van out in front of my house, who had cracked my WiFi encryption and is capturing data? Not creepy at all. I updated the router and changed the network key, just in case.

About the software, so WSA would absolutely detect any and all keyloggers. Also, it protects my saved passwords in Chrome, for example when I go to log in to amazon and chrome autopopulates those fields, that info can't be stolen when running WSA?

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?

It's all creepy when you think of being hacked and can't figure out how it's happening.

Please see the screen shot below in relation to the protection you have such as personal data, etc.

Please look here for more information.https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Concern-regarding-Webroot-SecureAny...

EDITED
Please go to the PC User Guide and this will show you how you can protect your programs such as Chrome.
 @JamesG would you be able to assist? 

But if you want peace of mind you can Submit a Support ticket 

Userlevel 7
Hello ?,

It is unlikely that this was caused by someone hacking your computer, or intercepting your wifi. Its incredibly difficult for anyone to break WPA-2 and they would have to be in range of the wifi point, and be very, very good at what they do. I would start looking at other options. You can also perform an audit on your router or modem via the portal to see if any connections other than yours have been made there but that would not show a man in the middle attack. Webroot is designed to prevent keyloggers using our obfuscation techniques. It's also a layered approach so we are not allowing anything that is unknown to send communications from your computer. I would advise reaching out to our support team so they can gather some logs and see if there is anything on either of the computers, but it was likely that this was a case of someone doing a bit of research about you and then going from there. I am also going to send you a private message with a few more tips that apply directly in your case.

I've provided the link and number to our support team below:

Support Number: 1-866-612-4227
Support Ticket: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

I hope this helps a bit and don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else.

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you James for the assistance