Detected flashplayer virus, but didn't remove?

• 28 April 2016
  • 1 reply

Hello,

So today a tab popped up advertising an adove flash player update, and before I knew it I saw the program had downloaded (on google chrome). Since I had a feeling it was a virus, I immediately found the file in my downloads and deleted it--I also got a notification from webroot saying that the file was a virus.

However, when I scanned my computer, it says the last infected scan was from over a year ago, however when I checked my trash I saw that the file was still there. I emptied out the trash and ran the scan again, but again, it didn't find anything.

Did me clearing out the trash "do the trick", or should I still be worried? What kinds of things can this virus do?

Also, in my download history on google chrome, it says deleted, and that the file/virus came from "ahxuluthsca.org", if that helps with anything.

Thanks in advance for replies.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi ovni

Welcome to the Community Forums.

From what you are saying it sounds like your quick action was apposite in the circumstances. And it may well be that whilst the file was infact infected it did not activate. The fact that WSA detected the file as a virus is a good sign and if subsequant scans with WSA have not reveal anything amiss then I would say that you are in the clear (whicy would WSA detect the file as malware once and then not subsequantly ;)).

But if you have any concerns you can Open a Support Ticket and ask the Suppoort Team to double check things for you.

In terms of what the 'virus' can do, you have mentioned that it came from "ahxuluthsca.org" but I can find no reference to that site anywhere, so I am afraid that unless you can look in the WSA Threat Log and provide us with the details of the threat there is not much that we can advise as to this.

Regards, Baldrick