Solved

Disable Webroot for Compilers

• 30 May 2016
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I am a software developer and I have recently acquired Webroot. I believe that Webroot anti-virus is interfering with the compilation of my software (I am using Windows 10 and trying to compile a C++ code with an GCC ARM compiler), because sometimes, the build process just stops and hangs without displaying any error messages or moving forward.

Is there a way that I can selectively disable Webroot for my compilations?
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 30 May 2016, 23:44

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi komyg

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If you are using the Home/Consumer version then the answer to that is 'Not yet'; we believe that this feature will be available in a future version, i.e., ability to exclude specific folders from scanning but at present the only thing that you can do is to temporarily shut down protection by right clicking on the notification tray icon and selecting 'Shut down protection', etc.

If you are using the Endpoint Security/Business version then I believe that the ability to exclude specific folders from scanning is already available as a feature, and you are most probably best off posting in that forum for information as to how the feature is activated.

Regards, Baldrick
Hi @, thanks for the answer. I will temporarily disable my protection and see how it goes than.
Userlevel 7
Hi komyg

You are most welcome...do let us know if this temprary measure helps with the issue. We could suggest that you contact Support to get the files you are compiling whitelisted but as I suspect that they will change often it will most likely be a never ending saga...so temporary suspension of protection is most probably the most expediate approach...at least at this time.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Baldrick is correct. You're only other option is to switch over to the business version that has file and folder exclusion.
Userlevel 7
Cheers, Nic...for the confirmation. Much appreciated.

And whilst on the topic, I have to ask (cheeky, eh?) as to where we are with the introduction of the folder exclusion fucntionality in the Home/Consumer version?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I haven't heard any plans to port it over. I think the vast majority of people who have a need for it are on the business version already, which makes it a hard case to argue compared to other dev priorities.
Userlevel 7
Thanks, Nic

Hmmmm, that is not good news as I think that it would be a much appreciated feature given that many of WSA's competitors offer the option. And it is a very well supported Feature Request, if I am not mistaken.

What would be the best way to give this a 'bump' with the Development Team...if there is another option to do that other than the Feature Request?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Maybe talking about it in the Beta group? I'm not sure what other avenues we can pursue. I do include the top 3 feature requests in a report to the product managers every month, and that one has been in the top three for the consumer side for a while now.
Userlevel 7
OK, cheers...will discuss it with the others and see if we want to try to push this feature in other ways. ;)