Do the antiviral features of Windows 10 conflict with Webroot?

Badge +3
As I understand, when one runs two simultaneous antiviral programs, it can cause problems with how the computer runs as antiviral program A detects antiviral program B as a problem rather than a protection.  The Windows 10 upgrade had "free antiviral" properties. I'm thinking of finally doing the upgrade as I assume most of the bugs have been worked out by now- but not enthusiastically going forward

How does Windows 10 work with Webroot?  I'm running Windows 8 on this unit and everything works fine right now

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi lyrod

Welcome to the Community Forums.

What you say is generally correct about running two AVs or AMs applications, except in the case of WSA which is designed from the ground up to be compatible/compliant with other AV/AM applications.

In terms of the 'free' Windows Defender that comes with Win 10, if MS detects a 3rd party AV/AM installed it should disable Windows Defender and cede control to the 3rd party application.

As to how WSA works with Win 10...the answer is very well indeed...I have experienced no issues since upgrading.

EDIT: Apologies, I have just remembered that in some cases some users with WSA installed have been prompted to uninstall WSA before the Win 10 upgrade can take place...not sure why this happens but it is a simple process to uninstall, upgrade & then reinstall WSA. Likewise there have been a very small number of cases when the aforementioned ceding of control by Windows Defender does not appear to happen...in this case it is again a simple case of uninstalling WSA and then immediately reinstalling it...which seems to resolvethe issue.

Please take a look at this KB Article fthat should provide you with further information.

Regards, Baldrick
Badge +3
it is easy enough to uninstall WSA- it is the reinstall that concerns me
Does the reinstall require a password or the user's product number?

And if in "some cases"......(which always concerns me, as it implies there may be problems that don't immediately come to light)
it is better to uninstall WSA if things don't work- Does it make sense to preemptively uninstall WSA regardless prior to Win 10 upgrade, prior to seeing if there are problems- then installing Win 10- then reinstalling WSA?  Based on the text above, it looks loke that path has the best chance of avoiding problems- assuming unistall and reinstall go smoothly

Userlevel 7
Hi lyrod

The uninstall/clean reinstall instructions are as follows:

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example:SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer; to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
and as you can see all you need is your keycode.

The occurance of 'issues' have, in terms of the numbers who have upgraded, been extremely minor...and in the vast majority of cases there is n o need to pre0emptively uninstall WSA.  But if you are happier doing so then by all means do so, upgrade to Win 10 and then undertake the clean reinstall of WSA...as I said previously that should take no more than 2-5 minutes.

BTW, I regularly uninstall & reinstall WSA...to test things and try to replciate member issues and I have never ever had an issue doing so. ;)

Regards, Baldrick