icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 6 December 2016, 21:04

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello mustangman57

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I am sorry to say that Webroot does not have or will do a disk defragging.

Please look here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17126/windows-7-improve-performance-defragmenting-hard-disk

Here is the Webroot PC User Guide encase you need it?

Userlevel 7
Hi mustangman57

Welcome to the Community Forums

If I may add to what Sherry has posted...if you system uses SSDs rather than HDDs, i.e., solid state disks rather than the traditional mechanicall storage then you most certainly do not want to be defragmenting your drives, as SSDs can be 'damaged' by such action.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Side note to this topic, does anyone recommend using something else for HDD's besides the default microsoft defrag program? I just have had no issues with it, but i know there are other defraggers out there, and some could possibly be better. (not looking for any program specifically, just seeing if it's an option I should check out).

I know defragging has more to do with computer optimization than AV security, just thought I'd ask since this topic was brought up.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Side note to this topic, does anyone recommend using something else for HDD's besides the default microsoft defrag program? I just have had no issues with it, but i know there are other defraggers out there, and some could possibly be better. (not looking for any program specifically, just seeing if it's an option I should check out).

I know defragging has more to do with computer optimization than AV security, just thought I'd ask since this topic was brought up.
Defraggler is my favorite :robotwink:
(probably just because I think anything made by Piriform is Fantastic)

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Does that work well with windows 10 anniversary update, if so, I may have to test it out 🙂 (Also a fan of piriform #CCleanerRocks) 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi skippystyles,

Just want to let you know please uncheck ANY addons when installing the download of Defraggler!;)

Thanks @
Userlevel 7
Hi skippystyles

In response to your question I would say that in most cases the Windows built in defragmenter is more than adequate, espcially the incarnation that is included in Windows 10. Yes, there are apps out there that will most likely do what will do a 'better' job, i.e, they have a plethora of alogrithms that will will super optimise an HDD for 'turbocharged' performance by allowing most used files to be placed to be more quickly accessed and will even identify those files in tems of usage, etc., and that is just one of the more common 'alogrithms' available.

And whilst is true that better placement of files will improve performance I would question in this day and age as to whether there is a need given the power of most current systems. I have myself purchased one or two of these apps in the past but to be honest I am not sure I would anymore given the sort of use I make of my system.

Just my thoughts...for what they are worth.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Thanks for mentioning that, Sherry. It's become so standard to me from all the free Software I've downloaded! 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Thanks for the heads up, I had that issue with Auslogics registry cleaner the other day, I hit OKAY, when I was reading it was going to install a driver booster but i was reading while I was clicking unfortunately, but, since I had the firewall set to "Warn if any new, untrusted process connects to the internet (huge fan of this AV so far) it asked to block it so i did for the connection, then a few seconds later it removed the whole program" (wish I could kudos the Webroot AV too lol)

BTW, if anyone ever uses that to find specific registry keys like I do sometimes (I don't use it for anything else) they just recently added that to the end of the install pocess where is says finish, so there's stuff to uncheck at he beginning, and the end now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thanks for mentioning that, Sherry. It's become so standard to me from all the free Software I've downloaded! :D
You are always welcome...
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, I had that issue with Auslogics registry cleaner the other day, I hit OKAY, when I was reading it was going to install a driver booster but i was reading while I was clicking unfortunately, but, since I had the firewall set to "Warn if any knew, untrusted process connects to the internet (huge fan of this AV so far) it asked to bock it so i did for the connection, then a few seconds later it removed the whole program" (wish could kudos the Webroot AV too lol)
You just did 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
That's awesome!!! (Also, I apologize for the sheer multitude of typo's on that one) WOW, just glad you knew what i ment (bock is a type of beer I think) not even close O.O. (thanks again)