Solved

Does Webroot take care of worms like Koobface?

I was just working with Quicken support...to transfer files.  They scanned my computer and discovered a worm called Koobface.  They insisted that Webroot doesn't prevent things like Koobface...and before we could proceed I needed to subscribe to their protection program...which I did.  But now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm "double covered" for this type of intruder into my computer system.  Apparently, according to the Quicken tech person, Koobface could infect the entire home network.  I would like to hear what's really true from the Webroot community.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 20 May 2016, 23:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi denny43

Welcome tomthe Community Forums.

Please see this previous thread on this topic, for a response to your query.

Regards, Baldrick
Thanks for the response, Bladrick...I'm assuming the answer is "yes" as you said someone can take care of it. I've already paid Quicken to do it...not knowing this. Quicken rep said Webroot only guards agains viruses, not worms. So...it appears I've been scammed.
Userlevel 7
Hi denny43

The answer, from the Webroot Threat Researchers is indeed 'Yes'...but as ever there are new variants coming out all of the time and no security app is ever 100% efficient (not even WSA...;)) so there is always the possibility that a new variant could get past WSA...but that is very unlikley.

If however it does then you are correct in your understanding that you can contact the Webroot Support Team and that they will work to remove the infection should it have gotten past WSA. This is a free of charge service to any user with an active WSA subscription.

Now, to say that the people at Quicken scammed you, is a moot point...that may be the case but I suspect that it is more likely that they are just be badly informed as to WSA's capabailities, i.e., thinking that because you use the Antivirus version of WSA then you are only protected against viruses...which is incorrect because all version of WSA provide the same base protection against MALWARE (which covers not only viruses but also spyware, ransomware, phishing attacks, identity theft, social network threats, unsafe websites to name but a few).

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick