Solved

Extensions in Chrome

• 2 December 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I use only the webfilter extension from webroot and Ublock Origin at this time as extensions in chrome, I was wondering, regardless of extensions added, when you go to manage extensions do I want ONLY webroot to allow "access to file URL's" since it can modify and change these (which i assume would help to redirect or block from webroot, not sure though).  Is this, 1st of all, something I should have on for webroot to better do it's job and 2nd, am I correct in assuming no other extension should have these privileges in my browser (just seems to make sense not to for other extensions).
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 2 December 2016, 00:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi skippystyles

Good question.

As far as I know the option you are referring to is mainly for web developers. Ticking this option allows the extension concerned to login and fill forms for local files. So unless you develop webpages, turning this option on or off will likely not affect you.

Having said that it does mean that one is granting permission to the extension to read, modify and write files in your computer.
Therefore you do need to make sure that the extension is trustworthy.  When I look around at the extensions I have in Chrome with that option apart from WSA the others are extensions I trust, i.e., the likes of uBlock Origin, etc. So I would certainly agree re. the setting for WSA (but whether it helps in any way I cannot say) but I have none of the others so checked. Hope that helps? Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
It does, I was thinking I wouldn't want even Ublock to have them, my AV (webroot) should be the only one changing my URL to  "possibly save me" if you will from a bad site, I'm curious though, and as you said, I don't develop webpages, but the simple fact that enabling that specific setting for webroot to, "read, modify, and write" files in the computer would actualy help the webfiltering driver.
Userlevel 7
Ah, but does it help the web filtering driver? I have to confess that I am not in the know on that one but perhaps someone who is would chip in to confirm or not the veracity of this? ;)
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Thanks for your help, I feel like I ask these weird one off questions (sorry about that), but honestly I thank you for the assistance and am excited to find out the answer 🙂 I've been really searching for an answer for a while now for it, so thanks again 🙂.
Userlevel 7
You are most welcome...:D