FireFox freezing up/Can't access account

I'm having issues with FireFox freezing up after I recently updated it.  I'm also not able to access my account or the Web Console.  I keep on getting a blank screen page.  I had no problems setting up my account and accessing it when I first installed Webroot about a month ago.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello csmith,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

Would you want to do a clean  install?

I use a PC, with WSA and my main browser is Firefox... I have no issues nor have I heard of any common issues regarding Firefox.

Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA? Please follow the following steps:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for all of the following steps
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

If this does not work, you might also try to re-install Firefox.

Please let us know if that corrects your issue? 
I don't mind trying that, but I don't think that will resolve my issue.  I just installed WSA on my laptop using the CD, and it is doing the same thing.  I do have the CD.

I'm also geting a blank page when I'm trying to access my account from this Webroot website page.  I did put in a help ticket.  I just thought I would check the forum to see if anyone else if having this same issue.  I did a google search on it and found other people having this same issue last year after they updated FireFox.  One piece of advice was to refresh FireFox.  I did that but am still getting a blank page when trying to access my Web Console account.

The freezing comes when I'm trying to navigate on a website or open up a different page.  When I close out FireFox and then try to launch it again,  I get an error message saying that FireFox is still running and that I need to restart the PC.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54

@ wrote:

The freezing comes when I'm trying to navigate on a website or open up a different page.  When I close out FireFox and then try to launch it again,  I get an error message saying that FireFox is still running and that I need to restart the PC.
Sorry Sherry, I hope you don't mind here but one comment from the last post referring to Firefox still running is an ongoing problem with FF recently which I have had, I correct it by closing FF using Task manager then FF opens OK. It does not happen as often now but occasionally it pops up again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello csmith,

I'm sorry for saying that but I haven't had this trouble on my W/7 or Vista or my Mac. So the best thing to do would be to let the Support Team look at this for you if this is happening on your computers. I only can advise and give solutions to what I would do for myself to try and correct this. I apologize if I wasn't able to help you..

Kind Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
A review of this Mozilla Support page might help: Firefox hangs or is not responding - How to fix | Firefox Help

edit: Perhaps try turning off Hardware Acceleration first to see if it helps.

i decided to Refresh FireFox and I'm now able to access a login page to my account.  I'm no longer getting a blank page.  When I did this it disabled the WebRoot filter extension.  I will have to wait and see if it resolves the freezing issues.  I have also had to close out FireFox using Task Manager.  All buttons on the WSA interface is now working (Account and Password Manager).

I no longer have the WebRoot icon at the top right corner of my web browser page.  I really feel there is some sort of an compatibility issue here with the filter extension and FireFox.  When I Googled the problem, I found other users having to do this.  That's where I picked up the advice of Refreshing FireFox.

Thanks for your advice!  I'm going to disable the extension on my laptop and see if it corrects the problem there, as well.

I will have to wait and see if I still encounter FireFox freezing issues.
I was blaming my internet over and over, and realized if I turn off the Webroot Webshield & Firewall, suddenly I can do EVERYTHING.   I could not even get my email to work (yahoo mail), unable to search or browse, either in FireFox OR Chrome, didn't matter what I did. Everthing freezed up, constant "website not found" messages, google would just sit there and stare at me with a blank screen.  IN my frustration I rebooted PC (repeatedly), rebooted my wireless box, NOTHING worked until I turned OFF the webroot features as mentioned.  Suddenly , I can use my computer and online services again! INstantly!

What is UP with that?????
My issue for MONTHS!  And we just updated/renewed our webroot. 
Fix for me?
Had to turn OFF webroots FireWall and Webshield in order to conduct ANY internet activity, including email!

THEN suddenly everything is fine.

Thats messed up, webroot!
so how does one turn off this extension?
Everything froze up, even email.  EVERYthing, until I turned off WebShield & Firewall. 
Suggestions?
To disable the Webroot filter extension in Fire Fox, go to add-ons and click on extensions.  You will be able to select disable on the filter extension.

I have had no issues with Webroot's Firewall and renewed my subscription because I'm very impressed with how this program does not slow down my PC.  They were suppose to come out with a fix on the filter extension in the updates, but I haven't seen it, yet.