Solved

Firefox Quantum v 57.0.4 Hangs & Freezes

• 23 January 2018
  • 15 replies

Hi Experts,

Just upgraded to the latest firefox browser. Doesn't seem to play nice with webroot.

My Win 10 machine hangs and freezes to the point where i need to hard reset to get it back.

As soon as I disable webroot Firefox works with no issues.

I have added an exeption for the firefox MD5, but still no luck.

I have reinstalled and reset the firefox config.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by JP_ 23 January 2018, 23:55

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello, @.

What version of Webroot are you currently running? You can tell by hovering over your mouse over the W icon in your taskbar or by clicking:
    The gear icon to the right of My Account Then selecting the About SecureAnywhere tab at the top
Hey.....

v9.0.19.36

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Thanks, @.

This issue will be resolved in the next release of our Web Filtering Extension 1.6.0.13. It is currently being gradually rolled out to Release Candidates and Beta users.

For the time being, you have a few options for workarounds:
    Use another Browser other than FireFox :catwink: Disable the Web Filtering driver within Advanced Settings and restart your browser (see screenshot below)

Appreciate the info JP.

I'll rollback to an earlier version and hold off until the web driver update.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Absolutely! Happy to help.

Thanks for your understanding & patience, I really appreciate it!
I still see this same behavior with Google Chrome (running Web Filtering Extension v1.6.0.13).

I also have Firefox, and it's running v1.6.0.16.

Is there a broader issue beyond the browser extensions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
I don't see any issues with FF58.0.2 with the Web Filtering extension 1.6.0.16 and the reason for 1.6.0.16 was for mainly Internet Explorer and Chrome still uses 1.6.0.13

Daniel
There seem to be a few different reports of similar (or the same) issues...

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Web-Shield-breaks-Windows-Task-Manager-and-Chrome-63-Beta/m-p/308448

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Task-Mananger-freezing-when-Firefox-is-open/m-p/311822

I've got the Web Filtering Driver disabled for now, and it seems to have helped. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Sorry I forgot to say I have no issues with the lastest Chrome 64bit either:

Google Chrome is up to dateVersion 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Same Chrome build for me, latest extensions, Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.248).  Computer just grinds to a halt occasionally when I open Task Manager. Hasn't happened (yet) since disabling the web filtering driver.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@wrote:
Same Chrome build for me, latest extensions, Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.248).  Computer just grinds to a halt occasionally when I open Task Manager. Hasn't happened (yet) since disabling the web filtering driver.

Same here so I can confirm so I will ping @ and @ and we can see what they have to say as I tried and had to do a hard reboot of my system. :S

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@wrote:
@wrote:

Same here so I can confirm so I will ping @ and @ and we can see what they have to say as I tried and had to do a hard reboot of my system. :S

Thanks,

Daniel
Even moving both browsers to Allow under Identity Shield doen't help so it can't be that.

Note: It works fine with FF 58.0.2 on my system but Chrome causes the issue when opening Task Manager even with the Web Filter Driver checked and I even tried it unchecked!
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Just for more info: CPU and Memory usage for FF 58.0.2 is quite high on my system.  :S

After several days of running with "Enable Web Filter driver" disabled across three PCs, I haven't had any Task Manager issues on any of them (and had experienced it on all three prior to making the change).

Interestingly, I just noticed that it had been re-enabled on one of my PCs after a crash & reboot. I've turned it off again.

Any additional info?  I haven't logged a support ticket yet, but I can certainly do so. :)

I also have had the Quantum + WSA + task manager issues.  Hangs my whole machine until I hard reboot.  I always thought it was Quantun that was the issue, but after uninstalling WSA about two weeks back, I now have zero issues.

@@ wrote:
After several days of running with "Enable Web Filter driver" disabled across three PCs, I haven't had any Task Manager issues on any of them (and had experienced it on all three prior to making the change).

Interestingly, I just noticed that it had been re-enabled on one of my PCs after a crash & reboot. I've turned it off again.

Any additional info?  I haven't logged a support ticket yet, but I can certainly do so. :)