Solved

Hacker Scam

• 17 June 2014
  • 4 replies

Hello,

This morning on the Today show I heard about a scam by Hackers that holds your computer hostage. Apparently, this scam sends a spoof email from UPS or FedEx. When you click on it it locks up your computer. You get a red screen. You then need to pay $500 to unlock your computer. If you wait too long, you have to pay $1000. I am wondering if Webroot has a protection for this?
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 17 June 2014, 20:14

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello!

Yes it does if you have WSA installed before infection if you have an hour to watch this video given by Andrew Bagnato, Sr. Systems Engineer, Webroot: https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/8241/95617 It will answer all your Questions.

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 1
I got a call this morning on my landline phone from an unknown number. This guy said he was from the Geek Squad and they had information that a hacker was trying to use my IP address. He said I needed to log on to my home computer and they would help me. I hung up on him. This is a scam right? 
Userlevel 7
Hi DeeW

Welcome to the Community Forums.

From what you are describing I am 100% sure that this was a n attempted scam...kudos to you for spottting it for what it was and responding as you did.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi DeeW,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Yes this was a SCAM! You did the right thing in hanging up.;)