Has WebRoot done comparative testing to see how, in Webroot's opinion, Webroot ranks?

Most test results I have seen over the last years place WebRoot at the top with the best protection. Obviously, like any hotly contested business, competitors are always vying to be king of the hill.

Tom's Guides, recently published test results by Henry Casey comparing WebRoot for OSX against Avast, Avira, BitDefender, Kaspersky, and Sophos. Webroot ranked worst of the six tested products.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/webroot-secureanywhere-mac,review-2978.html

I've used 4 of the 6 products, WebRoot stands as the best in terms of ease of use, and 100% protection on my Windows machine. 

Here on OSX, however, that may be different. Has WebRoot done testing to see what results they are getting compared with other protection software. Anyone have experience with actual comparative tests?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there, welcome to the Community!

As you may know, Webroot's products work much differently than other AV solutions.  The definitions are 'cloud based' instead of downloaded in bulky definition files for example.  Even though WSA is one of the best and fastest AV solutions on the market, because of how it works tests designed for traditional AV solutions do not work well with WSA.

That does not mean that Webroot cannot be tested and compared.  Please see the below links that show real testing against other AV's.  You will find Webroot performs very very well.

MRG Effitas Online Banking Certification

MRG Effitas: Webroot SecureAnywhere Versus Trusteer Rapport Comparative Analysis

Webroot SecureAnywhere Mobile - AV-Test protection for Android

I am sure ? can add to this list :)

NOTE: Comparative testing is not done here on the Community nor do we provide any 'virus samples' in order to do testing.  As such efforts should be taken only by very qualified individuals, we do not allow samples or discussions regarding the use of such samples as it would be hazardous for the average user.
Userlevel 7
Hello BFlat,
First off, thanks for being a Webroot fan.  There is a number of different reasons why scores vary so much on testing results.  I do not support the methodology that these companies use to "test" av products.  In test like the one where we were reviewed the testing companies take a large number of binaries that have had the executable bit removed and place them in a folder on the desktop then run a scan...  This is in no way a true reflection of how malware works or if the consumer is protected.  We use to try and cater to this way of testing so that it would produce a "good" score for people to see.  However this is not a way to truly keep our customers safe.  In the past year we have completely changed the way that our mac product detects threats.  We now run on a security platform that uses real world malware and not just a file on a desktop.  Our product looks into a number of detection methods that actually require the malware to be complete.  We have asked testing companies to actually try and install malware to show a true reflection of protection, unfortunately they have choose to not do so.  This is one of the reasons that we will not be taking place in the next mac testing.  My colleague recently wrote a blog about this same thing. Blog on AV test scores  Please check it out, as he goes into a deeper discussion on it.  Our end result is true protection of our customers and not just a pretty number based on a test that is gamed by everyone.  Feel free to reach out to me with any questions regarding our mac product or mac threats, I am always happy to provide information back.
Best Regards,

Userlevel 7
Thank you ?  As you already know I am not highly knowledgeable when it comes to iOS and Mac OS.  Great information!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
As always Thank you ?

I keep learning all the time especially when you answer any and all these Mac questions!;)
Userlevel 7
No problem, I am always here to help. :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Community,

No I haven't had experience with actual comparative testing but this is what I do know and which is important to me as a Mac user!
May I tell you of my own experience with using the WebrootAnywhere Complete on my Mac? Almost 2 years ago I went to BestBuy looking for an AntiVirus protection. They recommended Webroot. Later I went to Webroot online to purchase. My network had been hacked and I desperately needed protection for my main system. Which at the time was the Mac OS Maverick. Then upgraded to Yosemite and now El Capitan. 

Webroot has protected me non stop for nearly 2 years. I would not be without it. A Comparative test would not convice me not to use Webroot. I am always protected from Malware, and more PUAs are being added all the time with Webroot protection. I am  totally protected from surfing the network. Below these are the most important to me for protection.

Secure Browsing and Real-time Anti-PhishingIdentity Theft ProtectionKeyloggers (which was my main concern)
Protect your PrivacySystem Optimizer wipes away traces of your online activity, makes deleted files unrecoverable, and reclaims hard drive space by eliminating browser cache, cookies, and temporary files.

I have not had one virus hit my Mac. Malware is on the rise with the Mac as you may have heard, Please have a read here at these Blogs by Devin Bryd, (The Mac Threat Researcher) HERE and HERE

I have been constanlty told from Apple Support that it's impossible for the Mac to have a virus. That is false!

So if I may say that comparatives testing would not convince/influence me to stop using the best Antivirus out there on the market for the Mac! I am not trying to sell this protect. I am just a happy satisfied user. But IMO Webroot is the ONLY AV for a Mac!

Anyways I can't tell you how at ease I am to be protected by Webroot on a Mac. Which has free Support. And a roll back feature iF needed. Updates from the Cloud automatically.  And BrightCloud Technology!

Webroot has.: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Scanning-PC-suspiciously-fast/m-p/... also the Webroot WIN Cloud does all the work not your PC: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php

Do the other AVs have this? You will not convince me that Webroot is the worst protection compared to the others!

I cannot emphasize this importance enough that our Threat Researchers and Developers are continously working to keep us protected.

I apologize for rambling on and I realize you are looking for Comparative Testing. But this doesn't help most users when they don't understand how Webroot does protect the Mac.

Thank you for listening ?

Sherry,

Thank you for your comprehensive response (understatement). You made me blink multiple times. In addition to your own experience, the Devin Byrd authored link you supplied is sobering. I was one of the clueless believing OSX mostly immune. Naive kills. So...thank you Sherry for educating me. I know that WebRoot has been great (I think in view of all-quiet on the war front) on my Windows machine for years. 

OSX awareness is new for me. I pronounce you the Doyenne of OSX security. I am certain Angels are assembling a party in your honor as we speak. Besides, Tesla lightning is tre cool.

-jason
Devin. I just read your piece, History of Mac Malware. It was as if your work and Sherry's Tesla lightning woke up my neurons. Your further detail of how most publishers (perhaps promoting various products by un-announced agenda) fail to test in real-world conditions, is enlightening to say the least.

Thank you for your response and particularly for writing the history of Mac Malware. Really good stuff that Sherry pointed me at.

I DO have one question. I am not clear on whether "WebRoot Secure Anywhere" is the whole protection tool or whether I need some other add on. Is there something I'm missing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Jason,

Why Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so very elated that I could help provide some understanding about the Mac and Webroot. I thought I might have some debate here ...relieved I must say!;)

Have a nice day!

ShortCircuit....very cool links you connected me with. Thank you and thanks too, for your comments

-jason
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

I DO have one question. I am not clear on whether "WebRoot Secure Anywhere" is the whole protection tool or whether I need some other add on. Is there something I'm missing?
With the types of detections that we are using, I believe it safe to only use us.  You are of course able to use other things as well but I havent found it needed.  We are currently working on many other new features that will make us even stronger.  Cant really spill the beans but...
It will help fix alot of Apple exploits. 
As always please feel free to reach out to me at anytime, or @ is my go to Mac Champ on our Community as well. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

I have used WSAC for my protection as well!:D

Thank you ?
Thanks Devin. I feel I'm in the right place. I had no idea everyone here is so, well...enlightened.