Solved

Hello - I hope I am in the correct forum. I have Webroot Anti-virus, version

• 22 July 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Hello - I hope I am in the correct forum. I have Webroot Anti-virus, version 9.0.17.28

I keep getting this reminder from Webroot that my subscription is about to expire. I want to renew but . . .  I made the mistake of installing McAfee AV, (after I had been running Webroot for a couple of years). Doing so, I don't think I have any Firewall active. At least that's the message McAffe keeps sending me.
As I said, I definitely want to renew and possibly upgrade my Webroot subscrtion, but I don't know if I have to uninstall the present version I have on my computer, or -  if I can just buy the new subscription and install it over the old one I have on my computer. Which is still active by the way.

Sorry for the long winded question, but I really need to know the answers and I felt it was best to ask the questions to folks who actually are running Webroot. Webroot, who, BTW, are losing points with me for their support.

Thanks,

Donalds
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 22 July 2017, 20:12

View original

9 replies

Badge +8
Hello again DonaldS,

Why is Webroot losing points? Have you telephoned them? They are usually quite prompt. Now this is Friday and they may not be able to address your concerns until Monday? Would that be alright? I believe that it is in your best interest to submit a trouble ticket which will allow them to detect what antivirus program(s) are installed on your device and then for them to go ahead and assist you with the removal and reinstallation of an upgraded product which you seem to have interest. I can attest that Webroot is by far, the best product on the market and must apologize for your less than stellar response from the company.

I would submit a trouble ticket and wait for them to contact you. Now it may not be until Monday but I am hoping that you can wait. If you believe that your device is not protected properly then I will ping a few senior volunteers who can assist you better. @ @ @
Sincerely,
Theresa
Userlevel 7
Hi DonaldS

Welcome to the Community Forums.

OK, I would not go as far as saying that installing McAfee was a mistake more like it was unnecessary as WRSA provides much better protection that McAfee. No harm done...they will run side by side and not conflict but you will have more of a drain on system resources due to running both, especially as McAfee is heavier on resources than WRSA.

I would suggest that you uninstall McAfee as soon possible and if you need help with that they post back as and when you need it...we can help with that, especially as sometimes McAfee can be somewhat obstinate when being removed. ;) But there is a tool that you can use to help and it works quite well.

You can check to see if you have a firewall that is active by typing 'Security' (with out the quote marks' in the Start search field and then selecting 'Check Security Status' from the search results menu displayed. That should take you to the the Security and Maintenance Control Panel applet and from there just click on the Security tab which should detail whether and if so what firewall is running.

If you want to renew your WRSA subscription then just click on this link, which will take you to the Upgrade/Renewal page on the Webroot site from where you can purchase a renewal.

The advantage of doing that is that you will not have to do anything further...the new subscription period will be added to your current keycode (and to any days remaining on your current subscription) and you are good to go...no need to enter a new keycode or download/install a new copy (which you do not have to do anyway).

Of course, you may find a cheaper deal for the subscription you want through another source but in that case you will need to enter a new keycode or contact Support to ask them to manually do the addition of subscriptions for you if you want to keep the same keycode.

Well, hope that helps...if you have any follow up questions then please post back.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Baldrick -

Thank you for your reply. I found it informative and helpful. In your message you said, "You can check to see if you have a firewall that is active by typing 'Security' (with out the quote marks' in the Start search field . . . "  Where do I find that in, McAfee or Webroot? Sorry I am such a lamer, but I guess I'm just one of those folks who have to led by the hand through the mine-field.
Thanks again,

DonaldS
Userlevel 7
Hi DonaldS

You are certainly no 'lamer' just a member needy of assistance, which is what we are here for.

To answer your question would you be able to tell me which version of Windows your computer is running? Is it Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10.

If Windows 10 then you should have in the bottom left hand corner of the screen at least the following:

and if you click on the magnifying glass icon (highlighted above by the red square) you should be provided with a search field into which you can enter the search criteria I suggested in my earlier post.

If running Windows 7 then you will see the following in the bottom left hand corner of the screen:

http://toastytech.com/guis/win7allprograms.png

Click on the Windows symbol (left hand most one) will reveal the menu you see in the screen capture above, and I hope that you can also see a field with the watermark text of 'Search programs and files'...that is the search criteria entry field for Windows 7.

In either case that should then give you the option that you need to take (please refer to my previous post) and you can then follow the rest of the instructions.

What all of this will do is to display what Windows can see as your security configuration and will reveal whether you actually do or do not have a firewall running, and which one it is.

I hope that clarifies things a bit more? Please do not hesitate to come back with more questions if you have them. Will be happy to try to answer them.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 3
Oh yeah!  I actually was able to follow your instructions, (sort of) and found out where my Firewall was. (McAfee, which I am going to uninstall). I was kind of stumped at first because I was not seeing the icons you described. (Running Windows 10) See attached screen save of what the bottom Left my computer screen shows. Duh.
Thank you for your patience and help.

DonaldS
Userlevel 7
Hi DonaldS

You are very welcome. And patience is what we do...:D

Yes, given that the taskbar can be customised it is not always exactly the same from computer to computer.

In terms of removing McAfee you may find the contents of THIS previous thread useful especailly if you need to make use of the official removal tool.

As and when McAfee is removed repeat the instruction to check what firewall is active on your system. Hopefully it will indicate that the WIndows Firewall is now active. If that is the case then you are all set and well protected as WRSA will work with the WIndows Firewall to provide top notch protection.

If you find that the WIndows Firewall is NOT running then post back here and we will help you get it activated/protecting your system.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Thank you Theresa, a fellow "Baldrick" has stepped in and given me all the answers to all of my questions. Please understand I did want to malign Webroot in my post, not at all. Webroot has always responded to my questions and problems in a timely and understandable way. I am just stressed out over all this Web security business, I guess. I fully intend to renew and upgrade my subscription when it comes due in 45 days.

Regards,

DonaldS
Userlevel 7
HI DonaldS

When it comes to cyber security & security on the web, what with all the miscreants out there trying to con & inflict hurt on the public, it can be a stressful time.

We understand that occasionally that can lead to comments that can be misconstrued, etc...it happens. Think nothing more of it.

You have found us and hopefully we can help de-stress things for you in respect to WRSA and protecting your computer.

That is one of the main reasons we exist, apart for also wanting to have fun and indulge in camaraderie, etc. :D

Regards, Baldrick
Badge +8
@ wrote:
Thank you Theresa, a fellow "Baldrick" has stepped in and given me all the answers to all of my questions. Please understand I did want to malign Webroot in my post, not at all. Webroot has always responded to my questions and problems in a timely and understandable way. I am just stressed out over all this Web security business, I guess. I fully intend to renew and upgrade my subscription when it comes due in 45 days.

Regards,

DonaldS
Hi DonaldS,

It was my pleasure to get you steered in the right direction but I will always defer those issues with extended details to my fellow volunteers who have much more experience than I as they can sort you out much quicker and with less "ping pong" posts. I am so glad that Baldrick solved your problem in record time!! Please hang around the forum and follow some of the ideas and topics. It is a nice place to be when you have free time. 

Theresa