Solved

How can I check if there is malware on my computer

• 12 August 2016
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
I have had 2 credit cards numbers used  when I have made online transactions & I dont know how they are getting my numbers., but someone said I might have malware on my computer or a non secure wifi, but I have an ethernet connnection. I know webroot is supposed to take care of malware, but I just dont know where else to turn so I though I woud check to see if there is malware some where. Or should I just have someone come check my computer ? Thanks. 
icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 12 August 2016, 18:03

View original

3 replies

Hi ?,

Sorry to hear about your credit card troubles. I would suggest that you submit a trouble ticket so that support can have a look for you. This is a free service to those with a paid/active Webroot subscription. Honestly, there are numerous ways thieves can get you CC numbers. Your connection may be secure but if you're buying from a less-than-reputable source you may expose yourself that way. There are many unscrupulous vendors out there. Also, some places, such as rental businesses may require that you leave a CC as collateral, I just had to do this at Six Flags to rent a Flash Pass, shady employees may copy your number and 3-digit code (on back of CC) that way. But either way a support ticket would be my first suggestion.

Hope this info helps,

bd
Userlevel 3
Thanks so much I did submit a ticket. I had my computer savvy nephew out to my place &  he ran a malware scan & it came back fine. Dont know how this happened.
You're welcome ?,

I just thought I'd add that you can also protect your credit card info by using services like Paypal, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, or Google Wallet. These services insure that you don't have to give your cc number to vendors. These can be used for online purchases (Paypal) as well as in-store purchases (as an app for your smartphone).

Also, if you feel that you may become a victim of identity fraud you can contact any one of the three major credit reporting agencies; Experian, Equifax, or TransUnion (provided you live in the US) and they can place an alert on your credit profile and require that any new lines of credit be authenticated by you personally over the phone before approval, a free service.

Just a couple of things that I thought I'd pass along. Good luck. I hope you get to the bottom of this. :)

bd