How did SearchLock get onto my PC?

How has SearchLock appeared on my Google Chrome?

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello and Welcome to the Community Forum,

In order to remove searchlock extension, first you need to uninstall it from your add/remove programs. SearchLock claims that it will redirect you to safety, this might be so, but at what price? The program developers choose to display advertisements in order to gain revenue

Remove SearchLock from Chrome,

• Open Google Chrome
  • In the Main Menu, select Tools then Extensions (3)
  • Remove the SearchLock Extension by clicking on the little recycle bin
http://www.virusresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/remove-searchlock-extension-chrome.jpg
  • Reset Google Chrome by Deleting the current user to make sure nothing is left behind
http://www.virusresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/delete-this-user-chrome.jpg

Hope this helps and if not please get back to us.

Regards,
Hi GRACE99,

I am the developer of SearchLock and saw your post so I wanted to comment directly. SearchLock is a Google Chrome extension that we advertise online (it IS NOT bundled with any software). If SearchLock is on your PC it means that someone would have had to click on our ad and manually installed the Chrome extension on your computer. 

We hope you are enjoying your searchlock experience. If you have any improvement ideas on SearchLock or need any help you can email our support team directly at support@searchlock.com.

If you are unhappy with SearchLock you can easily uninstall the extension by visiting our uninstall instruction page: https://www.searchlock.com/pages/uninstall. If you choose to uninstall I would love to know why so we can improve the product - please email us at support@searchlock.com and let us know.

https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/14289's instructions will also work; however, you don't need to reset Google chrome's settings or delete the current user. 

Thanks for your time,

SearchLock
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi searchlock,

We appreciate your response to this concerning your product. I just merely was trying to instruct how to remove this and wasn't that informed about seachlock and I use Chrome too,

I didn't mean to upset or go against this product. This was some research that I had found.

Thank you for explaining your product and for the instructions for uninstalling & a support help site. This is very helpful.

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 7
Hi searchlock

Please correct me if I am wrong or have misinterpreted but the SearchLock EULA states:

"Copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may be distributed as a standalone product or included with your own product as long as The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is not sold or included in a product or package that intends to receive benefits through the inclusion of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT." 

Surely that gives the right to others to bundle your software with theirs and that is how it can 'appear' unwantedly on someones machine?  I am not saying thatthis is something that SearchLock pracrice themselves but it is possible for this to happen outside of your control?

And also, if I may ask, is SearchLock not ad supported?  And if so then can we assume that if installed on a system SearchLock will display adas to the user(s) of that system?

Just would like to clarify so that we know how to approach any furtherenquireies from our Community members and WSA users going forward.

Regards, Baldrick
Hi Ssherjj,

Not to worry, I didn't view your post as negative. It seemed like you were just helping out a fellow forum user.

You did a great job explaining how to uninstall Google Chrome extensions. I simply wanted to clarify the part about not having to delete the current user or reset Google Chrome and save anyone reading unnecessary steps. 

Best regards, 

SearchLock
support@searchlock.com
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ can you tell us a bit about this extension? Could it be considered a PUP or PUA as we call them here?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Hi Baldrick,

Thanks for your follow up and giving us a chance to have an open dialog. 

Regarding our EULA: I'd like to call your attention to the section in red - which restricts how anyone can profit or derive commercial benefit from our software.

"Copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may be distributed as a standalone product or included with your own product as long as The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is not sold or included in a product or package that intends to receive benefits through the inclusion of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT." 

While we don't bundle, I can see how this could be misinterpreted so we'll be updating our EULA and removing this section. Thanks for calling out your interpretation to our attention.

Regarding your question about ads: 

The SearchLock extension does not display ads on the user's system. Revenue is generated from sponsored search ads on our search engine results page (SERP). 

I hope this addresses your questions and thanks again.

Best regards,

SearchLock

Hi @ ,

We've got some great content on our website about our extension. Please take a minute and checkout the following sections.

Here's our about page: https://www.searchlock.com/about

Here's an explanation of our privacy features: https://www.searchlock.com/about/privacy-features

Here's some Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.searchlock.com/about/faq

We definitely do not consider SearchLock to be PUP or PUA because as I mentioned in an earlier post, the installation of our extension requires manual installation from the end user. 

Thanks for your time Daniel,

SearchLock

Userlevel 7
Hi searchlock

Apologies for the delay in replying (am UK-based and work at my day job far more than I should...;))

Thanks for the replies and for taking the time to make them.  That helps us be ready to answer questions we  might get here over concerns that SearchLock might be a PUA/PUP.

If we do get any such points raised we will most likely suggest that the person(s) opena dialogue directly with you via the links you have provided.

Regards, Baldrick

Evening @ ,

Not a problem and glad webroot provides this forum for dialog. Yes, please direct them to the links in this thread or have them open a support ticket directly with us at support@searchlock.com if they have any further questions.

Best regards,

- SearchLock
I can't get rid of SearchLock.  It isn't in my Add/Remove list.  It isn't in my Firefox addons. It isn't in my Chrome options. It keeps popping up on my screen.  I hate programs that install themselves and can't be removed.  Please help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Have a look here: https://www.searchlock.com/about/faq#9

Edited: If you can't get rid of this then please Submit a Support Ticket free of charge with a Webroot Subscription
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Or contact them!

"Not a problem and glad webroot provides this forum for dialog. Yes, please direct them to the links in this thread or have them open a support ticket directly with us at support@searchlock.com if they have any further questions.

Best regards,

- SearchLock"

Dam Crapware! 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks Daniel for the assistance!:D I totally missed that post by Searchlock support. The uninstall on their webpage doe not help much.
1. I was rather surprised to see SearchLock on my new PC, since I didn't install it.  I assumed it was bloatware installed by Acer.

2. I followed the instructions to remove it, but I wasn't able to find it in extensions.

3. So far, this is a virus, as far as I'm concerned.
Userlevel 7
Hello roscoeswat, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D

Please submit a Support Ticket or Contact Webroot Support to sort this problem. This service is FREE with a Paid Subscription.
Support Ticket System is Open 24/7

HTH,
Dave. 😉
I'm really not impressed with "Search Lock".   So far I've had about a dozen online game (chess) interrupted by "Search Lock" and the games were essentially destroyed.  I don't know who the jerk is from Search Lock that thought this was a good way to advertise your product buy I now believe that because of so many interfernces by "Search Lock" they must surely be a VIRUS and I will never download this product on my computer.
Hi daveb5,

Welcome and thanks for joining the Community.

From what I've read, SearchLock is a simple browser extension, but some have said that it can be difficult to remove. If you're unable to remove it using these instructions, then I recommend that you submit a support ticket to Webroot and let them remove this for you. Support is free with your subscription.

If you'd like, you can also call them.
1-866-612-4227
Mon - Fri 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM (MST)

Hope this info helps,
BD