I just replaced XP on one of my machines with Win 7, and I cannot get it to run on the new OS.

• 10 February 2016
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I cannot get the program to install correctly, it comes up like it is on my machine, but it says my subscription is expired when I am good until 2019.  It won't do a scan because of this and says it has not completed a scan, so it won't function for me.  I can't put anything on this machine until I get this part running and need help ASAP.  I ran into a problem yesterday and got some stuff on the computer that I had to take off by way of add'/remove, but one part was persistent and I had to go to safe mode and remove the stuff there.  It got on the machine I believe when I was trying to download WebRoot.  It tried to put about 6 programs on that would not allow me to see behind the window they brought up, I ended up calling a number on one of the windows and he was trying to get me to get "professional" help to get the stuff off.  He finally got part of it disappear and after I hung up on him I got about 5 out of 6 off.  The last as I said had to come off by way of safe mode.  One of the programs was chromium or something like that another was PC accelerator, another was something like udon'tseeit or something like that.  I believer I got their stuff off but I cannot get my real Web Root to install or work?  Please help.  mI cannot use this machine at this point for anything that I would normally use it for.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
I double-checked your subscription and you are definitely good until 2019. I would try a complete uninstall/re-install and if you are still having this issue please submit a ticket so that our support team can help you. I've also just sent you the download instructions again in case you need them.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Anna,  It does not show up on the add/remove options.  It shows up under the start, programs as Webroot Secure Anywhere and the onlyl thing in that folder is the installation link.  I can't even get a new download to work because it pops up with the interface to do a scan, but it starts a scan then stops a couple of seconds after I click it and goes back to tell me it has expired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Sorry Anna but I just wanted to add this.

Take a look here ? this maybe of some help.

PC - Uninstallation Option Missing from Control Panel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Anna,  It does not show up on the add/remove options.  It shows up under the start, programs as Webroot Secure Anywhere and the onlyl thing in that folder is the installation link.  I can't even get a new download to work because it pops up with the interface to do a scan, but it starts a scan then stops a couple of seconds after I click it and goes back to tell me it has expired.
Can you see it in Add/Remove Programs and can you Uninstall it? If not try the below and you might have to type it in as sometimes copy and paste doesn't work.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  1. Open the Start menu by clicking the Start icon.  
  2. Type the following into the Start Search bar, exactly as it appears below.  Note: This path is for the default location. If you installed the program elsewhere, be sure to modify the path accordingly. "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall  
  3. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.  
  4. When prompted to uninstall, click Yes.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I tried the instructions by putting "Windows Vista/Windows 7:

• Click Start, or the Windows icon. In the Search field, type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotes), then press Enter on your keyboard.
But it tells me it can not find my criteria, and the add/remove does not show anything for Webroot in there, but that one interface does come up llike I have the option to do a scan, but it won't work.  When I was on the phone with the guy who was trying to scam me he had something come up on my machine like he was running WebRoot on my computer and it showed several possible problems after his scan.  I did not give him and personal information like credit cards or anything like that.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I tried it several ways and it comes back nothing mathces my search.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Like this? And try typing it in as I said above.

1. Open the Start menu by clicking the Start icon.  
  2. Type the following into the Start Search bar, exactly as it appears below.  Note: This path is for the default location. If you installed the program elsewhere, be sure to modify the path accordingly. "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall  
  3. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.  
  4. When prompted to uninstall, click Yes.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
 look for the machines on the WebRoot web page, I can see my account, but I cannot use the installer to put WebRoot back on my machine.  Do I have to go to safe mode to try to install it there?  If so should I put the download somewhere on the machine to be able to access it?  Maybe I am grasping at straws??
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
I spoke with our support team, and they suggested that you could also try entering the keycode from the download instructions again. If you are able to open the program, you can click on the my accounts gear. If that doesn't work, they said they would be happy to help if you call in, as they can do an uninstall/reinstall in a controlled environment. Their number is 1-866-612-4227.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well you can try! If in the end Submit a Support Ticket as ? suggested.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Userlevel 7
Hello slhayes.
@ wrote:
I ended up calling a number on one of the windows and he was trying to get me to get "professional" help to get the stuff off.  He finally got part of it disappear and after I hung up on him I got about 5 out of 6 off. 
Who was this person that took control of your computer? If it was a scammer and you have passwords and accounts on the computer, I would start changing passwords. Also I would mention this on your support ticket or if you call support at the number Anna posted: 1-866-612-4227.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Thnak you Anna and everyone here.  I called the number for support and Aaron accessed my computer remotely and got it installed for me.  He said it was because the code was not inserted when it was first installed.  I honestly don't remember what happened, I just knew I could not get anywhere on my own and it went so quicke I did not see how he accessed the required place where the code was to be inserted, he put it in and it started to do a first scan right after that.  I did have to wait, maybe close to an hour to get him, but that was the only problem, he did it in just a couple of minutes and I have it working now.  Thank you to everyone here, it means a lot when people come to your help.  I am 71 now and it gets a little tiresome doing things, and people make a big difference.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
There was hardly nothing on the computer at that point, I wanted to get virus protection in so I did not have any account information set up yet, I have not installed Quicken or any of that stuff at this point yet, I did not put my links for things like our credit union or anything like that yet.