Solved

I turned off Windows defender and now it is telling me I have not security active

• 7 August 2015
  • 9 replies

I turned off Windows defender and now it is telling me I have not security active. I get a box sowing webroot but when I highlite it the activate won't do anything. webroot says it is running. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 7 August 2015, 22:44

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
I'm new here but have gone through a lot of  brushing up on how this works.
Webroot actually uses windows firewall as the incoming screen. Webroot monitors outgoing traffic. Leave windows firewall on.
Heres a link explaning how it works. =

http://live.webrootanywhere.com/content/599/Managing-Firewalls
Thanks but I have windows firewall on. It's windows defender there malware software that I turned off. It seems as if windows is not recognizeing webroot as running. Any thoughts.
Userlevel 7
Hi djrogalski

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Whether Windows 10 recognises WSA as being active is very different to whether it actually is and protecting your syste,.  CHeck to see if yo uhave the WSA notification tray icon present in the notification tray area (a 'W' in a circle). If the circle is GREEN then WSA is active and protecting your system regardless of what Windows 10 is reporting.  If it is of an other colour or not visible then please post back and we can investigate further.

Regards, Baldrick
THanks for the info but I know webroot is running. I am just trying to find out if there is something that can be do so windows 10 recognizes the software so I can stop the periodic report of no protection. Thanks again
Userlevel 7
OK, please see this previous post in which I describe the method of disabling WIndows Defender...as disabling it is the only way that Windows will recognise WSA is being present, and therefore reporting on WSA.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I hope you don't mind if I chime in here Baldrick.
I had this same problem last night after I installed W10. I fixed it by doing an uninstall of WSA ans reinstalling it. After reinstalling it I was able to deactivate Defender easily.
Userlevel 7
Not at all Jasper...teamwork is what it is all about...thanks for chiming in. :D

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
I might be showing my ignorance on the subject but Windows 10 looks to be receiving some disturbing reviews.
I'm not anxious to try it.
=
http://www.slashgear.com/a-week-with-windows-10-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-05395672/

Userlevel 7
Hi Gunner

Yes, there seems to the start of the 'what is wrong with' threah re. Windows 10...but (a) I am sure it will die down evenetually & (b) yes, there are issues in relation to 'phoning home' but agains I am sure that eventually all the tips & tweaks re. how to turn that off will be published/be out in the public domain...and again things will settle down.

Sounds like you best not be an early adopter/wait unti the above occurs... ;)

Regards, Baldrick