[InformationRequest]Infection Not Detected/Why Are Trainers Seen As Malware?

• 8 September 2017
  • 2 replies

Greetings:
I have installed the free version in order to test it.
As I mentioned in another post, I somehow got infected with erotic pop-ups, these are formidably annoying due to 1) children (I am 47, have 4 daughters and a very young son), and me wife starts to become jealous...

Now, the traners are found and considered virusses (one is identified as a worm no less), but the infection is still present.
This can mean 2 things: either this infection is so new, it is unknown yet, or... WebRoot is not quite effective...
For now I am betting on the first theory...
I will try a few other removers, see where we get to.

About the information request: just how come that game trainers are seen as malware/virusses?
I am very much aware about the false positives they give, but just what causes this?
As for 'protecting' these, I excluded these from further scans, allowing them to exist, and I am so bloody glad, WebRoot atually listens to my wishes.
As said in that other post, I have had 2 programs not being this polite.

For this alone already, I am VERY grateful.

I will keep you posted about the infection, if I am able to find it, I will try to send you the information so you can update your catalog...

Kindest regards:
Luke.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Greetings again, @ ;)

You can submit any files for review using this tool. Our Threat Team will handle it as soon as they can.

Or, alternatively, you can ping our Community resident threat expert at Webroot @ and he's pretty speedy.

I hope this information is useful for you moving forward!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hello Ratapan,

There are numerous reasons that trainers may be detected as malware... without getting too technical, a lot of it is how they interact with other programs, and they tend to share other characterics with malware as well. 

Please Submit a Support Ticket so that we can look into the popup issue. 

-Dan