Intermittant screen

• 11 August 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Intermittent (10 min?) screen total black for 1 - 2 sec then immediately OK for screen and process.  On & off line.  Performed system restore and defrag.   Possible hardware issue in connector or video board; retightened connectors. No results yet.

Is there an infection wth above symptoms?

6 replies

Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

I experienced these same symptoms once. It turned out to be the video cable I was using, in this case, DVI.
Don't know if that will be of any help but I thought I'd mention it. Please let us know how you get along. :)

Edit: Doesn't sound like a virus, have you scanned with Webroot? Sounds hardware related, imho. ;)

Have a good one,

bd
Userlevel 1
First attempt was a Webroot scan.  Fast & easy.  Failed to note such in my description.

Video/graphics connection(s) fault is attractive.  Just realized issue started after my last dust cleaning when I redressed a few wires.  Will exhaust all such connection/connector possibilities.

Thank you.
You're welcome ?,

If you have a dedicated video card you also may want to be sure that it didn't become unseated during cleaning and that it is properly inserted into the PCI/AVG/PCI-e slot that it sits in. ;)

Please let us know what resolves your issue. It may benefit a future user who experiences the same issue. :)

Have a good day,

bd
Userlevel 1
Many thanx for the clues but, alas, no success.  

Further data:  KB & Mouse OK during Black screen.  Double checked all connections & wiggled cables inside tower & outside.  Do not have hardware to swap.  Intermittantcy is now happening much more frequently, especially when URL changes or considerable video download occurs.  Also, off-line especially if in Task Manager.  Video function is part of mother-board.  Reran Webroot and updated (actually all were up-to-date) applicable SW such as ShockWave.

Based on need for upgrade from XP OS and possible need for a new mother-board I just purchased a refurbished tower for less than the costs of such + I get a 2 year warranty.  This leaves me salvagable items and a somewhat useable back-up PC.

Again - many thanx to all.
Hello ?, thanks for posting back.

You're welcome. Sorry we couldn't help you sort it out but it sounds as if some new hardware/OS was in order anyway seeing that you still had XP. You're newer PC will be much more secure. If you didn't try swapping out the video cable, I would still give that a try. That worked for me, anyway.

Regarding your new PC. If you plan on installing Webroot you can use the following method:

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for install to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode.
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot. 
Depending on how many licenses/remaining licenses you have (WSA-AV usually comes with either 1 or 3 user licenses), you may need to deactivate your old PC, unless you have an extra license and want Webroot on both.

If you do need to deactivate your old PC to free up a license, please see the following KB Article.

Hope this info helps, :)

bd

Userlevel 1
Again - many thanx!