Solved

Is Microsoft Edge protected by webroot?

Userlevel 1
Are there any issues with Webroot and Microsoft Edge?  I am not certain which browser to make as my default.
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 31 August 2017, 19:01

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello,

The Edge browser does not support any add-ons, extensions, toolbars, or the like. As this was a decision by Microsoft, the Webroot toolbars and extensions (e.g. Password Manager Toolbar and Web Filtering Extension) are not compatible with the Edge browser. The best solution is to use an alternative browser that is compatible with the Webroot extensions. The following browsers are compatible with Webroot’s extensions:

Google Chrome™ 10.0 or higher
Mozilla Firefox 3.6 (32-bit only) or higher
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Userlevel 1
Just what I am looking for.

Many thanks for the quick response.
Userlevel 7
No problem at all! Have a great day!! :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello ? and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

You can manually add Edge to the Identity Shield and it works but as James said add-ons and extensions are not supported at this time until Microsoft allows in the near future.

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Here to add Edge to the Identity Shield:

Go here in the UI: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6c_ManagingProtectedApps.htm and click on Add and go here and add both of these files to the ID Shield!

Userlevel 4
Edge now supports addons since a few months. Are there any plans on making Edge a fully supported browser now?
Userlevel 7
Hi shadek

I suspect that there are such plans but given the issues that resulted when Google or Mozilla (I forget which) changed their rules for how extensions could be deployed I would expect that producing an extension that works with Edge may be taking some time...given how secure Edge is supposed to be, etc.

Perhaps our most excellent Community Manager ? might be able to do some checking internally and let us know whether things are moving on this or not?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Thank you for taking time answering! 

Webroot has already released their syncing extension to Edge, as far as I can see. That's partly why I'm wondering what Webroot's future strategy is with Edge.
Userlevel 7
Hi shadek

Not sure what you mean by "syncing extension" as when I consult the official Microsoft site for Edge-related extensions there is no reference to anything from Webroot at this moment.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
I must apologize for wasting your time on my last claim. I re-checked and it was just a Metro app, not an actual extension! Sorry! My question still stands though; what are Webroot's plans for Edge? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Really no need to apologise, shadek :D

The whole area is a bit confusing and takes some getting used to what with all the changes in 'apps this', 'applications that', and what the difference is between the two, etc.

Hopefully Nic can shed som light re. your questions and I am sure that if an Webroot Edge extension appears for beta testing then the beta testing group, who will get it first, will advise on that as and when.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
This is a confusing thread. Does this mean I am not protected from viruses by Webroot while using Microsoft Edge?
Userlevel 4
Webroot will currently NOT filter or stop bad sites in Edge from where you can get virus.

However, Webroot should pick up the virus when it's downloaded onto harddrive.

EDIT: Few to none of the other security vendors provide protection to Edge yet, so it's not just Webroot. 
Userlevel 7
Hi jreddoch

I know what you mean...but rest assured that you are still well protected by WSA regardless as if a nasty should manage to access your system via a malcious site then WSA will jump on the payload by default...whatever.

However, you can enhance security by following the instruction provided by Daniel in Post #5 in this thread which explains how to manually add non supported browsers and other applicaitons to the Identity Protection Shield. Have a reread of that post and give it a try...it is simple and easy to do.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I added something called edgehtml.dll and edgehtml.dll.mri. Is that what I want? That's what I found searching after I clicked "Add Application".
Userlevel 7
Hi jreddoch

I do not think that those are the right ones. What I have registered under Identity Protection/Applications are the following: 

MicrosoftEdge.exe
MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe

which should reside under this path:

C:WindowsSystemAppsMicrosoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I can't find that specific one. Please give me the exact steps to find it after clicking Add Application in the interface.

Surely this should be easier.
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
I think I have it now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
After adding those, you can't type anything in the address bar of edge or search. This is ridiculous. An antivirus program should protect universally.
Userlevel 7
Hi jreddoch

Did you make sure that you had the 'Protect' radio button set against each entry? I have tried to type in the address bar and I am having no issues at all.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Yes. Something is blocking my keyboard, but only on Edge. When I remove those apps from webroot, it works fine.
Userlevel 7
OK, then what keyboard are you using...sounds like that is where you issue is rather than with Edge.
Userlevel 4
No, I can confirm that my keyboard does not function either with Edge added to Identity Protection! I have to specifically allow MicrosoftEdge.exe again for it to work. 

Edge is indeed very broken with Webroot and will not work if you try to 'protect' it manually - I can confirm it.

Windows 10 AU x64
Swedish Keyboard Layout
Userlevel 7
Well, shadek, that is definitively not normall and I am suspecting something specific to your system as being behind this as I cannot for the life of me replcaite the issue and I have not heard of it being reported before.

I would therefore recommed that you Open a Support Ticket ASAP, includinga link to this thread to avoid you having to key the detail of what you have tried, and seeing if the Support Team can identify the issue and resolve it for you.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Standard Dell Keyboard with wired connection. I can use it to type on various websites in Edge, just not in the address bar. The fact that two of us have the same problem after adding Edge to Webroot seems odd, especially since it works fine when I remove the Edge apps. Anyway, spoke to one of your technicians. He was baffled and said he's have to research it. Will be interesting to see what comes of that. Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Edge is not supported and my issue is probably related to it. I will wait for official support for Edge with 100% protection before I spend more time with solving an issue where the problem doesn't officially exist yet. :)

Also, now that extensions have been introduced in Edge, the customers have been promised support for Edge (source).

But I can confirm ? and his issue is reproducable on my end. Webroot will not protect you as good in Edge as if you use Chrome or Firefox yet - better stick with them until then.