icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 12 September 2015, 20:06

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Windows 10 will not allow you to have both Windows Defender and Webroot enabled at the same time. This is a function of Windows, not Webroot. The same will be true of any AV you install on Windows 10.

If you had Windows Defender active at the time you installed Webroot, Webroot will have become the active AV software, and Windows will have automatically disabled Windows Defender. In the event that Webroot is disabled or uninstalled, Windows will automatically re-enable Windows Defender and keep it turned on until you enable or re-install Webroot.

Edit: Please look here if you are comfortable using the registry. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-to-Run-WSA-alongside-Windows-D...

Hope this helps?
Is Webroot blocking Windows Defender in Windows 10 ? It seems so for my two Windows 10 computers ...
Userlevel 6
Windows 10 is set up so that if you have no other Anit virus installed Windows Defender will run automatically. If you install another Anti-Virus, Windows 10 will disable Windows Defender.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Windows 10 is set up so that if you have no other Anit virus installed Windows Defender will run automatically. If you install another Anti-Virus, Windows 10 will disable Windows Defender.
I am afraid that is not always true, Illumination, it should be but there have been cases where that does not happen...unfortunately.

I speak from experience in relation to my Windows (was 8.1) tablet which I upgraded to Windows 10. I had to disable Windows Defender manually and use the Registry 'twweak' referenced by Sherry.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I agree with Sherry and Baldrick on this one also.  I had to manually disable it on 4 of my upgrades.  

I would have disabled it anyway because it is redundant, as Webroot is far superior in catching the "bad stuff".  Also defender uses way more system resources than should be allowed.

Dave
Userlevel 6
?
That is not surprising considering the amount of bugs and driver incompatibilities that arose from the upgrade process and windows 10.
Userlevel 7
Could well be, could well be...but on the whole the upgrade experience from Windows 7 to 10 & Windows 8.1 to 10 (I have two devices) was relatively fault free.

I was certainly expecting issues given that my Win 7 installation was on kit that is now 6 years old...but the only issue was the Windows Defender one, and that was on the Windows 8.1 system...so all in all, compared to my experience of XP to Vista & Vista to Windows 7...not a bad job at all.

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
I believe it. Upgrading my ROG from windows 8.1 to Windows 10 was incident free. It was after running windows 10 for a bit that i started seeing a few bugs here and there, and decided to do a clean install, of which turned into a fiascal. Upon installing windows 10 "clean format", it started and windows updates began cramming drivers in, which would have been ok had my chipset driver not been missing. Im sure you could see where that ended up, the system crashed, it took two more attempts "with the chipset driver on flash drive handy" to get it installed before those updates were crammed in. Even now that they have pushed a few cumlative updates, it has for the most part really stabalized, but i still see small glitches here and there. Like when i started using Microsoft Edge, and installed Webroot AV for Gamers, first few times i opened Edge, it would crash, then open on the second attempt. This has quit, through no actions of my own. There are still some incompatibilities with software vendors still playing catch up just like every other version of windows, and it is still visible in many forums full of complaints.

I upgraded a buddies desktop, with nothing special, running an intel i5 with HD graphics, and all went smoothly, not one problem. So basically what i have seen and read is more hardware/drivert specific on whether or not it is smooth for a user.

Over all though, it was as you said, not bad at all, and now that i have run windows 10 for some time, i would not want to revert, as i really like it.
Userlevel 7
Yeppers, Windows 10 is a keeper for me too. :D
Userlevel 4
I have WRSA on both my W7 Pro/W10 Pro dual boot.  On the monthly WUP on W7 there are always MS Defender updates that it wants to install.  If I notice it, I uncheck that from the list as I did the other day.