Keyboard Typing Gobbledygook

• 7 January 2014
  • 9 replies

Greetings!

Installed the trial version of Webroot to my PC (Windows 7) last night to replace Norton product.  Didn't do anything on computer last night after the install - just shut it down.  This morning, when typing an AOL email, the letters keyed are not the letters showing in the email.  Also happens on all websites except the original window (Google) that opens when browser is opened.  Any subsequent window that is opened (even another Google window) has the same problem.  What gives?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Can you please check if anything is being blocked/monitored by clicking the gear next to PC Security and then Block/Allow Files? It could be listed as keyboard.exe

Also, please look for any files being monitored/blocked under Utilities, System Control, and then Start under Control Active Processes and report back. :D
I looked at the Block/Allow Files page under PC Security and there is nothing at all listed there.

I checked the Control Active Processes and there is a whole laundry list of items and they are all marked as "Allow".

Strangely, when I try again to type something, it shows up properly.  And I didn't change a thing.  I'm not sure what that means.  Perhaps it fixed itself?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great to hear yes there could of been some unknown files being monitored and got whitelisted in the Cloud so that is good if it's working as it should now! http://www.webroot.com/us/en/partners/technology-partners/webroot-intelligence-network

Cheers,

TH
Yeah, well, it's back.  It comes and goes, seemingly randomly.  I haven't seen any problems using Google Chrome, but sites in Explorer suffer some times but not others.  AOL email issues also come and go.  I know troubleshooting erratic problems is almost impossible.  But this is driving us nuts and I really don't want to have to go back to Norton Antivirus if I don't have to.  Help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you please Submit a Support Ticket so they can have a closer look and they will be able to help you out best!

Thanks,

TH ;)
Userlevel 3
Also if you could please walk us through the steps you took un-installing Norton, and TH if you could reply back on this with a link as I don't have it currently and I am on my phone, but provide the link to Davids tools as I've seen this by not running to Norton removal tool and or not rebooting between uninstalling Norton and installing another a/v
Understood.  Thanks!
Hi https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/14069, uh ... I didn't uninstall Norton.  HA!  I think that just might be the problem because, now that I think back, several of those little Norton pop-ups appeared throughout the day saying that this or that had been scanned and approved (which is normal).  It didn't occur to me to notice the timing of when they appeared versus when I was having the typing problems.  (Mostly I was just surprised that Norton was still active as it had already expired.)  But it's probably directly related.  As soon as I get home, I'll uninstall Norton and see what happens.  As of this morning, the gobbledygook problem seemed to be in remission.

The Computer Idiot strikes again!  Thanks to all for your help - I'll see if uninstalling Norton does the trick.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Here is the link to David's Software Removal Tools https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Software-Removal-Tools/td-p/27608#.Us1e77RlfK0

Cheers,

TH