Solved

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and WSA compatibility

• 8 April 2015
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
  • Community Leader
  • 644 replies
I have been running MBAE for a while now and recently installed WSA. I thought they were playing nicely together but have just realised that when MBAE is on, the lock in the WSA icon in the system tray does not show, but when I turn it off, it appears.

So my question is: Is MBAE compatible with WSA or is there a conflict?

icon

Best answer by Nemo 24 May 2015, 16:20

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Nemo,

I've just installed MBAE to see if they are playing nice together.. I am finding the same problem. When I turn on MBAE the Webroot lock goes off. So I don't know why this is to be honest.

I probably won't keep the program because I think Webroot is all I need for my computer and really don't want added resources to bog my system down. Webroot Filter and BrightCloud is enough for me IMO.

I have installed the free version so if you paid for this it might behave differently..not sure, but I'm going to uninstall anyways.

If you are having troubles with WSA being compatible then you can certainly submit a Support Ticket and report to them that you are having a conflict with this program.

Kind Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hi Sherry

Thanks for the reply.

I've just done a little digging on Wilders Security forum and come up with this thread where there are comments by PrevxHelp that seem to be to the point. Post #95 in particular.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/malwarebytes-anti-exploit-0-09-3-1000.351698/page-4

Thanks for the report - we'll be looking into adding support for this in the 2014 product. Regarding the Identity Shield, it does a lot more than just prevent untrusted modules from loading at browser startup, but it is indeed the opposite of what MBAE does (it protects the browser from the other software on the system, whereas MBAE protects the system from the browser).

Both products should (and will) work together - we just need to add an exemption on our side to allow MBAE access into the browser. At this point, the initial 2014 release is locked down but we should be able to get this into the first update.

Let me know if you have any questions or run into anything else in the meantime!  This was dated September 2013 and suggests that the two products do different things and for that reason I do not particularly want to turn off MBAE. Perhaps someone in the community knows if this issue has been addressed in an update. I am using the free version of MBAV and the latestst WSA version. Regards Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi @

That's very interesting information and I appreciate the feedback. Maybe @ can add to this as well?

EDITED:
I've read Wilders link that you sent. This appears to be an issue which I don't think has been addressed so like I suggested you can contact support and ask them as well what the conflict is and if it's been considered in this years updates.Right?

I wouldnt want to run MBAE if it shuts off the lock of Webroot since they do indeed address different processes.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks Sherry

I will submit a support ticket but I just thought someone might know if the matter had been dealt with or was in hand before doing so.

Regards

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Nemo,

No Thank you! I'd like to know what support saids because this would be valuable for other users as myself. Since Webroot is built to be compatible with most security programs.And since this was already brought up in Wilders.

Others here may post as well when they come online.;)

I enjoyed the new post as I hadn't heard of MBAE. Very interesting!

Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hi Sherry

I have now submitted a support ticket with links to this thread. 

Had forgotten that is was still early morning with you. As you say, perhaps the late risers will yet have some input! :D

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hello again

Just had a reply from Support who say:

"There has been some testing done in an attempt to confirm whether there is a conflict or not. So far our tests have not shown that any conflict exists between the two. We are still looking into this matter."

For my part the only conflict that I am aware of is the lack of the lock on the webroot icon in the system tray but it will be reassuring to hopefully hear that, other than this, both apps are working fine together.

Meanwhile I am continuing to run both apps.

Regards

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Nemo!

Thank you so much for letting us know what support saids. It's comforting to know they are aware of this. Good question to ask.

As long as both apps are working together I see no conflict either other then the lock issue. I may reconsider running MBAE.

Kind Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Following up from our earlier exchange, I have contacted Support again and just had this very comprehensive reply:

"Thank you for contacting Webroot Technical Support. Webroot is totally compatible with Malware Bytes and you shouldn't run into any problems at all using them together. I have actually never come across Malware Bytes causing any problems, such as blocking things unexpectedly, having a conflict with another security program or anything like that, so it is a good choice.
As far as the "padlock" icon that you noticed on the Webroot icon at certain times, it is actually a symbol of the Identity Shield, which should appear whenever an application that the Identity Shield is in "focus", meaning that you've selected it as the active window. The most common application that will cause the padlock to appear is your browser. You may notice the padlock disappearing when you click on other applications.
It doesn't mean that anything is locked away, it is just a symbol of one of Webroot's components.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can assist you with anything else."

I really do admire both this comminity and the webroot support network. I believe that we can consider this matter now resolved.