Solved

Malwarebytes found several Trojan.Siredef.C on my computer. Why is Webroot not finding these?

• 31 March 2015
  • 8 replies

Malwarebytes scan found six Trojan.Siredef.C on my computer. Why is Webroot not finding these and how do I get rid of them? 
icon

Best answer by Petrovic 31 March 2015, 22:20

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

If you suspect that you have threat:
The best thing to do is to Open a Support Ticketand ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove this for you.  There is no charge for this if you are a WSA license holder, with a current subscription.
+
Virus Removal Options
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Virus-Removal-Options/ta-p/54074
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello aliforjc2,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

Trojan:Win32/Sirefef.C is the detection for a component of the Win32/Sirfef family,
 a multi-component family of malware that moderates your Internet experience by changing search results and generating pay-per-click advertising revenue for its controllers. The family consists of multiple parts that perform different functions, such as downloading updates and additional components, hiding existing components, or performing a payload.

I'm not sure why this wasn't detected by Webroot. But would you please submit a Support Ticket as Petr. has suggested.

Kind Regards,
Thanks for the help!  I will go ahead and open a ticket. 
Hello 

I would like to know if  you have found a good explanation to this issue when you submitted a ticket.

Pleasse let me know 

Thanks 
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
Hello 

I would like to know if  you have found a good explanation to this issue when you submitted a ticket.

Pleasse let me know 

Thanks 
On a three year old thread? https://www.webroot.com/blog/2015/12/02/whats-in-a-name/
Userlevel 1
Badge +8

I realize I'm commenting on an ancient thread but I find answering a different question, giving a politicians answer, ie shifting the focus away from original question and just not addressing the OPs concern maddening 

OP had a very valid question. One I am constantly curious about as I also have Malware detected by Malwarebytes free and not by WR.

If anybody has an answer they are willing to summarize in this thread without giving a link to an article it would be much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +35

I realize I'm commenting on an ancient thread but I find answering a different question, giving a politicians answer, ie shifting the focus away from original question and just not addressing the OPs concern maddening 

OP had a very valid question. One I am constantly curious about as I also have Malware detected by Malwarebytes free and not by WR.

If anybody has an answer they are willing to summarize in this thread without giving a link to an article it would be much appreciated.

Hello @cliffm,

The only information that you have provided is that another vendor detected something on your machine. Please Submit A Support Ticket so that we can gather more information as to what exactly was detected and what we may or may not have missed. 

-Dan

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello @cliffm,

The only information that you have provided is that another vendor detected something on your machine. Please Submit A Support Ticket so that we can gather more information as to what exactly was detected and what we may or may not have missed. 

-Dan

Dan

Thanks for responding. I’m not concerned enough to submit a ticket but thanks for the offer.

That was not the point of my post. My point was all about the OP’s question. It was a valid one and submit a ticket is a good answer but not what he (or me) were looking for on the thread. 

I’m pretty sure the OP wanted to know the possible explanations as to why this may happen. Since nobody answered his question I did my own research and feel comfortable with the probable reason. 

In summary, it woulda been nice to simply read a likely possibility like the one I found on my own.