Office 2016 Annoyance

Everytime I start any of the programs within Office 2016, I get a popup from Webroot asking to "allow" that specific program to access online.  It pop ups 2x for each program (2x for Word, 2x for Excel, etc.)
Next time I reboot, and start the program, I get asked again.

Has anyone else witnessed this ?

Windows 7 Pro x64
Office 2016 Preview
Webroot SA A/V

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi TEX4S

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I am running Office 365 (that is the 2013 versions of the office apps) and so have not experienced this.  When you get the popup from Webroot asking to "allow" that specific program to access online, do you click 'Allow Once' or the 'Allow Always' options that is avaialble as an action?  If not the latter then I suggest that you try doing that next time and see if that solves the problem.

If you have tried that then, if you are running Win 7 (not valid for Win 8/8.1) try checking your 'Active Connections' (click on gear/cog symbol to the right of PC Security tab, then click on 'View Active Connections' in the bottom right hand corner of the next panel displayed, and from the panel next displayed check under 'Processes' for any entry related to Office or Office components and make sure that the status/permissions on the right hand side of the line is 'Allow'.

If that does not help then we wil have to put this down to an incompatibility of a very new version of Office with WSA and you should Open a Support Ticket to let the Support Team know and investigate the issue for you.  This is a free service for all WSA users with an active subscription.

Please do post back as to whether any of the above is of assistance or if you have to contact Support then how they help you resolve this as such feedback helps us to assist other users who may come here with the same or a similar issue.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
EDIT: Apologies, but I should have pointed out that as Office 2016 is not yet officially release; I believe that it is only at the Public Preview stage, WSA is most likely not officially 'certified' to be compatible with it...but having said that I am sure that Support will be interested with you feedback on the issues that you are experiencing as it will help them towards making sure that WSA run properly with the new version when it is officially released.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi TEX4S

Final thought, which I missed having before...a long shot but worth checking...is your Advanced Settings for the Firewall.

Click on Advanced Settings, in the top righ hand corner of the main panel, and from the next panel displayed click on the Firewall tab (on the lefthand side).

The default setting should be "Warn if any new, untrusted connect to the Internet if the computer is infected".  If it is not that setting then reset the setting to that and try firing up Office again.

As I said, it is a long shot as in most cases there is no need to touch these settings but just sometimes they can get 'corrupted'/changed from the defaults.

Regards, Baldrick 
All great ideas. I will check the settings you mentioned. Yes, I do/did select "always allow"

Yes, office 2016 is early beta, and that may be the reason for the issue, I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it - or if it is something specific to my system.

Thanks Again for Your suggestions. Will post back with results.
Userlevel 7
Hi TEX4S

No worries, and thanks for the feedback...most likely a beta-related issue but good that you raise it as hopefully if the Support Team spot it/pick it up they can look into why it has occurred.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
All great ideas. I will check the settings you mentioned. Yes, I do/did select "always allow"

Yes, office 2016 is early beta, and that may be the reason for the issue, I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it - or if it is something specific to my system.

Thanks Again for Your suggestions. Will post back with results.
But make sure you contact support to get the files Whitelisted on each new build as Baldrick suggested

Thanks,

Daniel 😉