Removing Remaining Files Left on Your Computer After Initial Removal of Webroot Secure Anywhere

• 2 August 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
When my pervious subscription to Webroot Secure Anywhere (WSA) expired, I decided to try another
Antivirus/Antimalware program. I have Windows 7 on my computer and did the usual "Uninstall a program"
from the Control Panel menu. I also use a free program, that I downloaded years ago from what was called Cnet then, called Easy Cleaner. Easy Cleaner is marvelous for identifying unneeded files and deleting them.CCleaner is also a great cleaning tool, but it does not catch what Easy Cleaner does.

As most Webroot users have noted, Webroot leaves many Language and miscellaneous files on your
computer while you are using it and after you uninstall the main Program. I deleted them with Easy Cleaner, but each time I rebooted the computer they reinstalled and I had to delete them each reboot
(over 200 files). I considered this to be a real nuisance. 

I finally found a program from Webroot that permanently removes these nuisance files. Note that it should
not be used by those who wish to continue using Webroot/Webroot WSA, as it will remove the program
and the extra files. The Program is called "WRUpgrade tool". Link:  http://download.webroot.com/WRUpgradeTool.exe       It goes to your Download files. It is easy and quick to use and it's free. I suppose
it is called an Upgrade tool for security purposes; and after you run it, the program will also uninstall
itself from your download list (for security of the program). So, If you, someone else on your network or someone you know needs to use it, it will have to be downloaded again for each individual user.
>>>>  I used this program myself and it worked great, with no adverse effects to the operation of my
computer, online or offline. And the deleted program files have not reappeared after numerous reboots.
I highly recommend it.

Tistar11

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Tristar11,

I believe if you have a previous version of Webroot security software, such as Spy Sweeper or Webroot 2011, installed on your computer, Support recommends removing this program and installing the latest version of Webroot software: SecureAnywhere.

As I thought it was not advisable to use the WRUpgradeTool.exe on the most recent versions of Webroot. As it would be best to Contact Support and they could uninstall Webroot/remove files without any reprecussions.

I will ask our moderators/administrator @ or @ if this is safe to use this tool for later versions of Webroot?
Or perhaps @ or @...

Userlevel 7
WRUpgradeTool.exe is only for uninstalling releases of Webroot before SecureAnywhere.

If, however, it resolved the issue for you, @, we can't complain about that. Perhaps your installation was from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away? 😃
Userlevel 2
Actually, Planet Earth, two years ago, LOL. It still works for pernicious leftover Webroot files.
Userlevel 2
Thank You for your reply.

I don't plan on using Webroot in the future. I only posted the infrormation and my success with it for the benefit of other Webroot users and those users who may choose other Antivirus software in the future..

Tristar