Solved

Scanning

Userlevel 2
I am asking why, when the daily scan commences that it only scans approx 36K files? That doesn't seem like very much to me. Am I missing something here?
icon

Best answer by jhartnerd123 3 May 2017, 16:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Hey @

The reason why it only scans a smaller number of files is really to save on resources and increase performance of both the system and the scan time.

Webroot only really scans major system areas where malware is known to hide and essentially ignores the remainder of the system unless files/folders are acted upon by the user. Then they are scanned and watched for their behaviour.

There's no need to constantly scan the entire drive and every singe file because, for the most part, not much changes on a system. And if it does, Webroot WILL scan and make determinations on it. 

It's akin to washing dishes. When you wash dishes you look in the common places where dirty dishes hide. Places like the kitchen counter, living room area where people snack, dining room etc... You won't look in the bathroom or under the bed in your bedroom for dirty dishes, cause for the most part, there's never dirty dishes there. 

So if you did happen to go to bed and notice a dirty plate on the floor by your bed, you'd take action as it's something new and needs to be acted upon. Much the same way. If Webroot was the dish washer, it'd see  that you noticed a plate and will determine if it's in need of cleaning etc... 

Webroot isn't like the old poky traditional AV products that will simply scan everything.

Hope this helps explain things.

Cheers
John

Userlevel 2
Thank you. That makes sense. I know with Malwarebytes it can take 45 minutes to do a scan. Really taxes your system.