Scheduled scans find threats but never remove them automatically,so I have to rescan manually. Why?

• 7 March 2015
  • 5 replies

I bout SecureAnywhere about a week ago and it seems to work fine, except for one thing. The scheduled, automatic scans happen normally, but all they seem to do is just identify threats. I see the taskbar icon show me that there are threats on my system. I have to manually click the scan button, let it find them again, then remove them by clicking next, next etc.

Why didn't the scheduled scans just remove them? And if they want me to manually approve the deletion, why do I have to wait for a NEW scan just to find them again?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello uncguy4321,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

I'm not sure why Webroot isn't getting rid of these threats. But when Webroot finds these threats they should be removed and Webroot will rescan tio make sure they are gone. Please have a look here about threats detected.

I am not saying this is the case. If you'd like you can put your computer in safe mode to see if Webroot can remove these threats listed.

Can you run a deep scan in Safe Mode with Networking the instructions on how to do so are shown below. 

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking. For instructions on starting in Safe Mode with Networking
http://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/Loginr.aspx?pid=12&login=1&app=vw&solutionid=68
2. Open Webroot SecureAnywhere from the tray, start menu or desktop icon.
3. Click on the cog icon next to 'PC Security'. http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C2_Scanning/CH2e_Defining_Custom_Scan...
4. Open the 'Scan & Shields' tab.
5. Click the 'Custom Scan' button.
6. The default scan option is 'Deep'. Click Scan.

This will start a Deep Scan of your system. Please allow this scan to complete and remove any threats found. Once the scan is complete, you may restart your system normally. And please let us know if your issue persist as you may need to Submit a Support Ticket for further Expert help free of charge with your Active Subscription.

Best regards

Thanks for your reply. Well, the threats are being removed, but only when i start a manual scan.

If I click to start a scan manually, then when it finds threats, I click to remove them...and then they are gone. So that works.

The problem is the automatic scans only detect, they do not remove.

Its like automatic scans have a setting to only find threats and alert me, telling me to rescan and find them and remove them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello there,  @ .

I'm sorry I really misunderstood your issue. Webroot is doing what it's suppose to do. I was thinking Webroot wasn't removing your threats

EDIT: Maybe I'm not understanding this... PLease have a look here at the PC User Guide

If SecureAnywhere detects a potential threat, it opens an alert that prompts you to make a decision on whether you want to allow or block the item. If you aren't sure, we recommend that you block the item. For more information, see Managing detected threats

Please let us know how things turn out for you if you get a chance. Thanks,

Kind Regards,
Badge +3
It would be good, if there were an option for automatically remove threats when they are discovered (not to ask from end user). I can confirm that scheduled scan won't remove threats without asking from user what to do.
Userlevel 7
Hi Mexol

Welcome to the Community Forums.

What you say is not strictly true; there some cases like that but often the notificaiotn by WSA is to inform that a threat has been neutralised, i.e., items have been quarantined and to allow the user to check on what has been done.

In my opinion that is the correct approach given that no security software (even WSA) is 100% accurate 100% of the time...and false positives do occur.

Regards, Baldrick