Setting scan drives

• 28 January 2017
  • 5 replies

So in looking at other posts and saw where WR doesn't automatically scan drives other than C
Kinda makes this useless software in my setup.  Small SSD with OS and a few programs.  HDD has most of the programs and all files - including files emailed to me by clients.  Currently scanning that drive and have found 2 threats at 35%.   Will this be a feature in future versions?

Second issue I had was more of an annoyance.  Everytime it updates it recreates a start menu folder.  My start menu is organized by type so I have to move it every few days to my utilities folder and delete the newly created one.  PITA

WR is getting to be harder and harder to substantiate.  Sorry

Dee

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi SDee89

Welcome to the Community Forums.

As far as I aware there are no plans for the automatic scanning of drives other than the system drive but what you can do is to submit a Feature Request for this feature. Doing so will bring this to the attention of the Developemnt Team who do review the feature requestes regularly and also will allow fellow members to comment on and, if they agree with you, support your request by comments and the giving of kudos.

The more support the more likely that the Development Team will take notice.

In terms of the Start Folder recreation, I do not believe that there is any way to avoid that as if it does not find what it expects by default then the installer in update mode will 'remedy' what it sees as an issue. When installing manually there is an option to adjust advanced install settings but in truth I have rarely been into those options and therefore not sure if there is any thing in there that may help...but realistically I doubt it.

Again, you could raise a Feature Request re. this 'change' that you would like to see but as the 'issue' relates to default installation attributes I suspect that a change to that will be a harder sell. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
I'm having a hard time understanding why it would not scan other than the OS drive?  Is there a thought process to that?

Userlevel 7
Well, if one considers the approach that WSA takes in that it focuses on active or activating malware, i.e., an in active piece of malware is no threat to anyone, which will most lilkley be found on the system drive rather than any additional drives that may well just be used for pure storage .

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Regards, Baldrick
But we nolonger use a second drive for "pure storage"  half my active software is installed there.  its a point that should be noted
Userlevel 7
Well, I venture that you may be in a minority as I suspect that the vast majority of WSA users have active software on their system drives only, i.e, they don't override the default install location when installing the applications.

Anyway, and respectfully, it is what it is and the only way that this will change, as far as I know, is if the Development Team are notified that there is a requirement, i.e., via a Feature Request, and then there is enough support for it  that it comes to their attention.

But perhaps some of the other members may have a different view or if I am incorrect then they would be good enough to correct my misunderstanding?

Regards, Baldrick