Solved

Spy Sheriff or FakeSecSen viruses?

• 4 January 2017
  • 1 reply

My ISP sent me an email message saying they detected teh Spy Sheriff or FakeSecScan viruses on one of my devices behind my modem.  I called my ISP, and they said it is a legitimate email.  But, I have scanned all of my PCs with Web Root and other anti malware programs, and no problems were identified.  Anyone experience this?  Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 4 January 2017, 23:46

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello TG,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Win32/FakeSecSen is a family of programs that claim to scan for malware and display fake warnings of malicious programs and viruses.The program notifies you that you need to pay money to register the software to remove these non-existent threats.

Because these are names used by Rogue (Fake) Antivirus programs. Webroot SecureAnywhere does protect against Rogue Antivirus apps.

Reports of rogue Antivirus programs have been more prevalent as of late. 

These are programs that generate misleading alerts and false detections to convince users to purchase illegitimate security software.
These can display product names or logos in an apparently unlawful attempt to impersonate Microsoft products.
These products may represent themselves as “Antivirus XP”, “AntivirusXP 2008”, “WinDefender 2008”, “XP Antivirus”, or similar. 

If you are concerned you can always Submit a Spport Ticket and they can have a look.