Solved

Spyware and Virus Protection

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and noticed that Windows Defender is controlling virus and spyware protection instead of Webroot.  I am unable to turn on Webroot to control these functions at this time.  Is it okay to stay with Defender for these functions?

In 8.1 I noticed that Webroot controlled some functions and Defender controlled some which seemed to be a good mix.
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 28 August 2015, 21:12

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi emersks

Welcome to the Community Forums.

This should not be happening so I would recommend that you undertake an uninstall of WSA and then a clean reinstall to see if that fixes the problem. To do this please follow these instructions:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
If this ALSO fails to resolve the problem, you may need to contact Support for assistance.

If your subscription is directly through Webroot, you will need to contact Webroot Support.  You can do so by submitting a Trouble Ticket if you have not already done so, or by phone during business hours.  (The online Ticketing system is manned 24/7)

If your subscription is through Best Buy Subscription Software services, you may need to call them at 1-800-GEEK-SQUAD.

Hope that helps?  DO keep us posted on how you get on.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hello there, welcome to the Community!

Edit: I see I type too slow and ? has beaten me to it!  Well done my friend :)

Windows 10 will not allow you to have both Windows Defender and enabled at the same time. This is a function of Windows, not Webroot. The same will be true of any AV you install on Windows 10.

If you had Windows Defender active at the time you installed Webroot, Webroot will have become the active AV software, and Windows will have automatically disabled Windows Defender. In the event that Webroot is disabled or uninstalled, Windows will automatically re-enable Windows Defender and keep it turned on until you enable or re-install Webroot.

To enable Webroot, you may first have to disable Windows Defender. 
Click Start
Click Settings
Click Update and Security
Click Windows Defender (on the left column)
Turn the sliders here for Windows Defender to OFF.

Now you can try to enable Webroot.

If Windows STILL refuses to allow you to enable Webroot, you can try a quick 'clean install' of Webroot.  It takes less than 10 minutes.

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
If this still does not help, please submit a Trouble Ticket to have Support give you a hand.  There is no charge for Support as long as you have a valid Webroot key code.

Userlevel 7
Teamwork, David...teamwork...and it rocks! ;)
I followed you guys instructions and it seems to have worked.  Funny thing is that after I downloaded the software,  I did not have to enter my keycode.  It started running automatically and is now controlling the virus and spyware protection.

Thanks for the help.
It seems to have worked.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Hi emersks

Glad to hear that you are sorted...always good to get feedback.

Regards, Baldrick
Not sure if you got my earlier post.
It seems to have worked.

Thanks,

Ken
Hate 2 kep bothering u but I just noticed that Webroot is not showing in Control panel as being installed,  Did I do something wrong or is this possibly a Windows 10 quirk?
Userlevel 7
Hi emersks

No worries...that is what we are here for. 

Yes, is a know 'wrinkle' in that whilst Windows Defender is active it will show that in the Control Panel settings rather than WSA. You can either disable Windows Defender, reboot and see if that sorts it or just ignore it as so long as WSA appears in the notification tray area and is Green (Circle with 'W' in it) then you are well protected.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hello emersks, 

As Baldrick said, it does sometimes do that.  If you read down through all of today's posts there has been one in which someone needed to uninstall, and it was not showing in the Control Panel.  There are ways around it, but as Baldrick said for the moment, as long as it is active in teh system tray, you are good to go.

NEVER worry about 'bothering' us.  We are volunteers, but we are here because we enjoy helping out when we can :)

Have a great weekend, and stick around here.  You can read and learn a lot about WSA here 🙂
Userlevel 7
And if help is required with the deactivation of Windows Defender then please let us know as we should be able to provide guidance on that if required.

Regards, Baldrick