Solved

Steam online functions are being blocked after installing WebRoot.

• 12 February 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello,

After installing WebRoot today, all my steam online functions are being blocked. The Store, Community & Profile sections have been disabled somehow. Also the ingame browser suffers the same loading black screen.

What I did so far:

1. Check if steam is not being blocked in the PC Security settings, this was not the case..
2. Check the Application Protection settings under Identity Protection, steam was not being Protected or Denied access..
3. Check the System Control settings under Utilities, both steam.exe and the steamwebhelper.exe are being allowed..
4. Reset the Advanced Settings to Default

What else can I do? It would be nice if the online sections of steam would work. And how is Steam, a well known program being totally blocked in this manner? I thought this was a good lightweight solution for gamers, but so far it blocks 50% of Steam T.T......

Please get back to me asap, highly appreciated!

Cheers,

Rooter1238
icon

Best answer by Rooter1238 15 February 2017, 21:31

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Rooter1238

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I see that you are underway in trying to resolve and have found the areas where WSA can be tweaked if it is being 'over protective', and where if this happens a user can override WSA. 

1. PC Security > Block/Allow Files
  2. Identity Protection > Application Protection
  3. Utilities > System Control > Control Active Processes

So given this I would suggest that you Open a Support Ticket to notify the Support team and get them to look into this for you, as it could be something as simple as the need to whitelist files on your system. If you want to check this yourself manually then please post back and I can advise as to where to look.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Hi Baldrick,

Thanks for your quick reply! I had already found your standard message in previous topics. I have tried every one of these options already. I also tried to override the settings by manually adding the steam executables. Without any satisfying result :|

Do you have any other advice? Something is blocking the steam online functions, and believe me when it's something in WebRoot. This morning while running my old AV/FW program, no issues. After installing WebRoot, it's being too overprotective with steam.

Cheers,

Rooter1238
Userlevel 7
Hi Rooter1238

My apologies...I posted back precipitously and once I had I reread your OP and noted that what I had posted was superfluous as you had already covered it all. Please review my revised post as to how I suggest that you proceed.

Again, my apologies for any confusion caused.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Hi Baldrick,

No problem 🙂. I have logged my question to the support section as requested. So far, I found some people with the exact issue I am having. But all those topics lacked the actual resolution for it :|

Cheers,

Rooter1238
Userlevel 7
Hi Rooter1238

That does sometimes happen, and we do encourage members to post back to the thread re. the advice provided by the Support Team.

Perhaps, as and when yo uhear from them and they resolve the issue for you, you would be kind enough to update us on the solution provided?

Many thank in anticipation.

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 2
Will do! Don't worry 🙂
Userlevel 7
Many thanks, Rooter1238

We look forward to hearing all about it as and when. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Hi Baldrick,

Support suggested I should uninstall WebRoot completely and remove all traces in the %PROGRAMDATA% folder. To be precise the WRData folder. After the uninstallation, I noticed that the Steam Store, Community and Profile sections still were being blocked.

I tried the following solutions I could find on the internet before installing WebRoot again:

Solution 1:

1. Navigate to %localappdata%
  2. Open the Steam folder
  3. Delete the contents of the htmlcache folder
  4. Restart steam
Solution 2 (Similair to #1):

1. Exit steam
  2. Navigate to %localappdata%
  3. Open the Steam folder
  4. Delete the htmlcache folder
  5. Open a Run box (Windows key + R)
  6. Enter the steam://flushconfig command
Solution 3: 
  1. Navigate to the Steam Root Folder (e.g. D:/Steam)
  2. Delete everything except the steamapps folder and steam.exe (DO NOT DELETE THESE ITEMS..)
  3. Start up steam.exe
  4. It will redownload most steam files, you don't have to reinstall your games since they are located in the steamapps folder
What worked for me:

Solution 4:

1. Locate steam.exe and steamwebhelper.exe
  2. Right click them, and open the properties
  3. Make sure everything under Compatibility is left unchecked, especially the Run this program as an administrator box
  4. Also make sure this is the case under Change settings for all users (you can find this button on the same Compatibility Tab)
All of the above solutions might work for you. After installing WebRoot for the first time, this strange issue occured for me. Now everything is working as intented! I have WebRoot up and running, and nothing is blocking the online functions of Steam.

Thank you support department, and thanks Baldrick for your support as well!

Cheers,

Rooter1238