Solved

Uninstall WR from W10 to reinstall

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi,
I believe I need to uninstall and then reinstall WR because I do not have the option in the right click menu to scan a file. It only has scan with Windows Defender. I am also getting all kinds of messages that there is no AV software installed, but when I open the security tab it says WR is working and installed. I found a post that said I needed to unistall, remove a particular file and reinstall but I can find no way to uninstall WR. Please help either with uninstalling or getting the right click menu to operate.
Thank you, any help is appreciated.
S13
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 2 April 2016, 18:01

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Hi,

I would contact support as this has been an issue with right click explorer scan menu options. A remove and reinstall probably won't fix the issue.

John
Userlevel 7
Hi Snerk13

You can certainly try an uninstall/clean reinstall to see if that will work for you.

What may well be happening is that what should happen in terms of the installation of a 3rd party security app being detected, i.e., should trigger Windows disabling Windows Defender,and this would appear to be the problem re. your installation. An uninstall/clean reinstall generally solves the issue.

In terms of the instructions for the uninstall/ clean reinstall would you please advise as to whether you are using a PC or a Mac, so that we can provide the correct version for you?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thank you for the reply, I am using Windows 10 Pro.
Userlevel 7
Hi Snerk13

Thanks for the response. If you are happy to try aninstall/cleasn resintall the please follow the steps below closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example:SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer; to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Give the above a try and then let us know if it responds to the issue you have raised.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thank you,
I will have to wait until the wekend when I have some time to devote. I will post results.
S13
Userlevel 7
Thanks, Snerk13...will be watching out for your update.

And if you have any other issues or questions...well, you know where to post don't you? ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I misread the post, I thought the file to download would be a way to uninstall WR. That is part of the issue, I cannot uninstall so I may reinstall. It does not show up in add or remove programs. Is there a tool to uninstall it like with other AV programs?
Thank you for any replies.
S13
Userlevel 7
Hi Snerk13

Hope that you are well?

No worries, please see this KB Article that covers this situation; just make sure that when you run the command line advised in the article you do so from a command prompt with elevated rights, i.e., 'Run as administrator'.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thank you, I had found that article several times but never ran the line from the command prompt. It uninstalled in about a second and reinstalled just as quickly and now I have the scan option from the right click menu. Thank you for your help. Have a great day.
S13
Userlevel 7
Hi Snerk13

You are most welcome...glad that we could finally get this sorted out for you.

Have a great day yourself...and Happy Webrooting. :D

Regards, Baldrick