Solved

WSA and AV-Comparative

• 9 January 2013
  • 9 replies

Hello,
What is the reason of the poor result from Webroot at AV-Comparatives this year?
Do I have to worry of not been protected properly?

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_sum_201212_en.pdf
icon

Best answer by JimM 9 January 2013, 16:22

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Did you read the report completely? If not please read the second paragraph on the page 179. Moreover there were written hundreds posts explaining the same thing, I encourage you to use a search function ;)

Userlevel 3
@Antarctica: I'm sure not. Read on p.176: "...we performed a simple test to get an idea of how it behaves when offline, i.e. when the computer does nat have an Internet connection, and so the program cannot acces its database on the server."
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@: I'm sure not. Read on p.176: "...we performed a simple test to get an idea of how it behaves when offline, i.e. when the computer does nat have an Internet connection, and so the program cannot acces its database on the server."
Hope it will give you reassurance in WSA capabilities http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Fast-Scans-When-Offline-How/ta-p/20328 
Well, thank you for you answers guys. It's not that I had totally lost my confidence in WSA, it's just that I was 
questionning my choice of security I made two weeks ago...
Cheers
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well, thank you for you answers guys. It's not that I had totally lost my confidence in WSA, it's just that I was 
questionning my choice of security I made two weeks ago...
Cheers
You're welcome :D

Don't be afraid, in WSA you have the state of the art security product, so your cash were spent meaningfully 😉
Userlevel 7
This question was previously answered here, and here.  Please take a look at those threads for more information.
Thanks JimM for those links. Interesting reading. I must say I am a newbie with WSA and like many others, I still don't know exactly how WSA works compare to standard AV. I guess I have a lot to learn...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also to Quote https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/212 :

The end of the PDF explains what we're going to be doing moving forward. These results have been expected from our end as it has been difficult to test WSA, as I'm sure everyone here knows. I'm meeting with them next week in Austria to start figuring out how to make statistically significant and accurate tests of WSA.

The AV-Comparatives team and Webroot have together decided not to include the new SecureAnywhere product line in the 2013 public main-test series. AV-Comparatives recognizes that Webroot’s approach to protecting the user (preventing unauthorized data transmission, combined with protocolling changes and reversing them where possible) would require a different test procedure which is not applied by any testing lab so far. Unfortunately, such a test could in some cases take several days for each single test case to be performed, making it almost impossible to perform a statistically valid test with results comparable with the ones of other security solutions. AV- Comparatives will work with Webroot to investigate the feasibility of developing a test that will assess SecureAnywhere’s protective abilities and allow for comparison with other products.

TH
Userlevel 1
I've had the same paranoïa phase when installing WSA for the first time.

No firewall (just using Windows firewall) ?
A very light program ?
Its particular detection system ?
Mellow critics and reviews ?

According to many (power) users, Windows Firewall is ok. No firewall is unbeatable by someone who knows and want enter a system. So, let's get cool. And if you're afraid about your datas, just think about all the updates Windows and other soft made ... that could send datas to soft developpers ... ;-)

It's very light, and for me who works with a big tower and big programs, if I can get rid of 50 Mega of "AV routine fat" it's all winner.

I don't know more about the detction system, but I know since years, AV developpers have sold us very "sexy named" unbeatable systems, and we're still getting malwares, virus and various pests. So ...

Critics and reviews : no lab, no online PC magazine is completely independant. they all need to make a living. And usually, making a living means money. I don't trust much the "labs". They surely drop the very worst, but for me, the 10 top AV overall are the same. Next, it's a question of taste or feeling.

So, and even if WSA feel like I'm walking on the streets with just a string on, it's a  nice string :D