Webroot SecureAnywhere—What's Your Experience of its Protection?

• 4 December 2017
  • 8 replies

I think this is the basis for an interesting survey:
  1. Do you use Webroot SecureAnywhere (regardless of whether Antivirus, Internet Security, Complete, AV for PC Gamers or any other version) as a standalone, or do you use it together with another Security Product?
  2. How long have you used it?
  3. When were you last (knowingly) infected?
I'll start off.

I have used Webroot SecureAnywhere, and previously its legacy product Prevx (for information purposes Webroot acquired Prevx in late 2010 and rebuilt its entire product on Prevx's architecture) since Nov 2006.

Until ±mid-2013, I used Prevx/Webroot alongside Eset Nod32. Since then, I have used it as a standalone product.

Since changing to Prevx/Webroot SecureAnywhere, I have so far never been knowingly infected.

Over to you...

8 replies

Userlevel 7
For me I have used WRSA (& prior to that Prevx 3) since mid 2008.

It ran alongside NIS & then KIS until circa 2013, at which point I became completely convinced by the Webroot philosophy, efficiency of the product & its lightness on my system, and it became my principal AM application.

As I believe in a layered defence (as nothing is 100% effective 100% of the time...not even WRSA) and so I run VoodooShield Pro (effectively a computer lock that I use as a replacement for the hidious UAC), much as I originally ran WRSA/Prevx.

And like Muddy7, since moving over to WRSA as my principal AM application I have so far never been infected...and it has intercepted a number of attempts which it thwarted.

Bought several licenses long time ago (still have some unactivated)
Installed on one PC, never got any significant detection in almost 1 year; concerned with privacy , WSA sending a lot of information to the Webroot servers.
Uninstalled last year and using now MSE +MBAM paid.
Neved had any infection.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Bought several licenses long time ago (still have some unactivated)
Installed on one PC, never got any significant detection in almost 1 year; concerned with privacy , WSA sending a lot of information to the Webroot servers.
Uninstalled last year and using now MSE +MBAM paid.
Neved had any infection.
Well "WSA sending a lot of information to the Webroot servers." is only to be expected as it is still the only true Cloud based AM...and it would have to do so given that the majority of it's work is done in the Cloud. ;)
What I meant was "a lot of unnecessary information"
see here:  "Data transmission in Internet security products"
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/avc_datasending_2014_en.pdf

Is the language of the operating system transmitted?   YES
Is the windows username transmitted?  YES

How is beneficial for general protection to transmit windows user name?????

Userlevel 7
Better to make it clear from the start as to what is really meant...some one might otherwise get the wrong idea. ;)

As for the information sent...well, I have nothing against any of that as I do not see how it can harm one...but fundamentally it is a question of trust...and I trust Webroot to pick up the information that is required. If I did not I would not install or use it.

So, as it seems that you do not trust Webroot you have done the right thing thing by uninstalling it...but...do you know exactly what you now have installed is transmitting back to base? :S
If you are running Windows, MSE cannot transmit more then the OS itself, so at least I do not have 2 entities spying on me.

"...and I trust Webroot to pick up the information that is required"
Your trust is based on what???

Userlevel 7
Based on experience, long time usage, understanding of what & how WRSA works...but most importantly a lack of paranoia...that some have when it comes to security...;)

Anyway, this is now drifting off topic so I will say nothing further on this particular 'offshoot'...make of that what you will. 
So, based on "long time usage" you figured out that WSA is not collecting sensitive information from your PC???

Did you check the link provided???
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/avc_datasending_2014_en.pdf