Solved

Webroot interfering with browser (Pale Moon)

• 23 August 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi,

I use Webroot Antivurs on my computer. My browser of choice is Pale Moon, initially a Firefox fork which has branched into something of its own.

Upon installation, Webroot began interefering with the browser in the way that all sites would load, BUT:
- they would load incompletely (CSS was missing wholly [rarer] or partially [often])
- images would get mixed up (images A and B would switch places, of course breaking page design [often])
- pages were slow to load [often]

The interesting thing is, the problem wasn't consistent in the sanse that after 1 - 5 refreshes, the page would usually load fully and completely. Not all pages were affected, though. And otherwise, the browser was as fast and as stable as ever.

I have identified the culprit to be "Enable Web Filtering  driver" feature. When I disabled it, Pale Moon begun loading pages normally.

Note: I did not have the Webroot web extension installed in the browser. The Pale Moon process has been whitelisted in the firewall. Pale Moon add-ons weren't the problem since the problems persisted even in safe mode.

At the same time, this problem did not affect my alternate browser Vivaldi. The built-in MS Edge was also not affected.

I am on a HP ProBook 4740s laptop with Win 10 x64, 6GB RAM, Intel i5 3210M. No other active security software besides Webroot.

I would like to know why would Web Filtering driver be interefering with Pale Moon in this way?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by V_Shaft 26 August 2017, 11:10

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi V_Shaft

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I run all the browsers you mentioned and I am not seeing the issues that you are reporting re. Palemoon...it is worth noting that whilst Palemoon is a Firefox fork it is not officially supported by Webroot.

I think that the best bet at this point is to Open a Support Ticket, including a link to this thread (to avoid you having to copy/paste or type the same info again), and let them see if they can figure out what the issue is here.

One thing that it may be worth trying in the interim is to uninstall and then reinstall Palemoon, just in case you are the victim of a faulty installation...a long shot but always possible.

Please do come back here and let us know what Support come back to you with on this.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 1
Hi, Baldrick, thanks for the welcome.

I am aware Pale Moon isn't on the supported browsers list, but since web filtering didn't interefere with Vivaldi (which is also unsupported as far as I know) it struck me as odd the intereference was only with PM. I know the two have completely different rendering engines and such, but still...

And re-installs don't work: I've tried different releases, some going more than a year back when I know I didn't experience problems. Now, with Webroot, those same versions misbehaved. I've also tried installing 32-bit and 64-bit versions of PM, no luck - they install fine, but the problem remains.

The culprit is literally the "Enable Web Filtering Driver" setting. I just switched it off and left every other option untouched, and problems have gone away.

On the PM forum, the lead developer commented that maybe Webroot's "web filtering has problems [with PM] due to the implementation of the http spec, expecting single, sequential requests only."

Well, this "issue" is more of a curiosity, than a real problem, but I will open a ticket nonetheless and report back.
Userlevel 7
Hi V_Shaft

No worries...but what you state just makes me recommend even more the Support Ticket option...if any one can figure it out it will be the guys & gals of the Support Team...give them a go.

And, if you have issues with Palemoon uninstallation then, as and when you do manage to uninstall it why not try out the portable version of Palemoon...that is what I use and it has low system impact, i.e., does not deposit very much rubbish on one's system. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
I've opened a ticket, will wait for the reply.

And, I realize now, I've chosen an inappropriate terms when I said 'uninstalls' didn't work. I meant, 're-installs' didn't work. Uninstalling and re-installing different PM versions - both 32 and 64-bit - didn't resolve the page loading issue.

I've corrected my earlier post as to avoid confusion.
What about an uninstall/clean install of Webroot?

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Just a thought. ;)
BD
Userlevel 1
Thanks BurnDaddy, a Webroot re-install (after the WSALogs scan) was the proposed solution by customer support. I followed their instructions, re-installed Webroot successfully, but it didn't solve the issue. I am awaiting further instructions from customer support.
Userlevel 1
And as a final update...

Customer support didn't really find a solution for the problem. I was told that the reason for the problems was in fact Pale Moon (which was sort-of-Firefox, but not really). So their solution is the one I am already using - switch off the web filtering driver.

Since Baldrick is not having the same problems, I suppose there must be something else beside Pale Moon in play, but for my particular case disablign the filtering driver is the solution.
Userlevel 7
Hi V_Shaft

Personally I would say that you should, as a last measure...uninstall Palemoon and then start using the portable version...same functionality as the installed version to all intents & purposes.

It is a longshot but worth a try in my humble opinion.

Regards, Baldrick