Webroot using a lot more data...

• 14 December 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Is it just me, or does Webroot Antivirus seem to be using a good bit more data than it did just a short time ago?  

I have Glasswire installed and I keep a careful eye on the amount of data I use due to having HughesNet and needing to.  Recently, I've seen quite an uptick in the amount of data Webroot uses.  Prior to this it would rarely use more than 1MB per day, but now it is using multiple MBs per day.  Just since I've come online tonight (yes, I'm on very late) it's used 4.8MB, with 3.1MB of that being upload, and much of that being the phreshphish thing.  

Any idea why this may have happened all of a sudden?  Granted, it's very little data in comparison to my total usage, but I'm just curious what may have changed.  I can say that I have not noticed the phreshphish thing until very recently. Is this something that was recently added to Webroot?  

Thanks. 

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Well, it's 12/16.  I've been online for roughly three hours, and this phreshphish upload thing has now used over 6MB.  Over 6MB in three hours.  I wish I knew what has changed.  

All of a sudden I'm jumping from sub 1MB per day, combined download and upload, to 6MB in three hours just from the upload.  I don't get it.    

Is it my Webroot Filtering Extension in Chrome?  Did something change with that?  

I'm temporarily disabling the anti phishing option in Webroot to see if this stops.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hello,

Why are you concerned? Do you have limited bandwidth with your ISP? WSA is a full cloud AV so it needs to check each and every web page you visit so you have to expect some back and forth communication with the Client to the Cloud at all times when your online!

Thanks,
Userlevel 2
Yes, as indicated in my original post, I have to be cognizant of the data I use due to having HughesNet.  

I'm well aware of the way Webroot works.  

I'm not that concerned with the overall amount of data being used, but what does concern me is why it jumped up to five to ten times what it was just a month ago, with practically all of it having to do with "phreshphish".  Why did these "phreshphish" entries just start showing up all of a sudden?  

For nearly five years I have used Webroot Antivirus.  For nearly five years is used between 500KB and 1MB per day, on average.  Rarely did the data usage fall outside of those parameters.  All of a sudden Webroot is using upwards of 5MB to 10MB per day, with the uptick being due to "phreshphish."  Up until a few weeks ago it would be highly unusual for Webroot to use more than 30MB per month.  Now, it's on track to use upwards of 300MB.    

My concern is, why was "phreshphish" never there, and all of a sudden it's there?  Up until a few weeks ago there had never been a "phreshphish" entry for Webroot in Glasswire, nor the data "phreshphish" is using.  And you don't need to explain what the "phreshphish" is.  I'm already well aware.  According to Webroot's own info, anti-phishing with "phreshphish" was introduced in 2012.  Why didn't I start seeing it until the end of 2018?     

Did something change with Webroot?  Did something change with Chrome to cause this?  Did something change with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (including the upgrade to version 1809) to cause this?

I watch my computer very carefully, and anything like this sticks out to me like a sore thumb.   

The most helpful thing to know would be if other people are seeing the same thing, including those who've recently upgraded to Windows 10 1809.   
I think the point the OP is making is the recent 5 to 10-fold increase in data use on his device by Webroot (which he has observed as coming from the phresphish activity) since a few weeks ago:

@ wrote
For nearly five years I have used Webroot Antivirus.  For nearly five years is used between 500KB and 1MB per day, on average.  Rarely did the data usage fall outside of those parameters.  All of a sudden Webroot is using upwards of 5MB to 10MB per day, with the uptick being due to "phreshphish."  Up until a few weeks ago it would be highly unusual for Webroot to use more than 30MB per month.  Now, it's on track to use upwards of 300MB.   
I'm afraid I'm not one who follows this kind of thing regarding my computer's use of resources (a bit too advanced that kind of thing for IT semi-illiterates like myself :8), but I find his observation curious and would certainly be interested in any useful insight from a developer.

@ (if, of course, you can find time out of your busy schedule, Lucas. Don't worry if not.)??