Website safety ratings in search engine results not showing in FF or Chrome

• 27 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Just installed a WSA AV trial. Thinking of going back to Webroot after a few years using other products.

Anyway, I made sure the setting to "show safety ratings when using search engines" was enabled, but I'm not getting any safety ratings in Chrome ver 62 or FF 56, using Google, Yahoo or Bing. The Webroot extension is installed in both.  Interestingly, the safety ratings ARE showing in IE. 

I'm running WSA AV ver 9.0.18.38 on Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1709 Build 16299.19. 

Suggestions?  Thx
Dave

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello @

Here was a thread:
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Green-checkmarks-and-other-warnings-gone/mp/294836

Webroot reinstallation solved the problem. I hope this helps.
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Green-checkmarks-and-other-warnings-gone/mp/295344#M30141

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

For Chrome you can try reinstalling the Webroot Filtering Extension. You can get it from HERE.

As far as Firefox, I am unable to get the Web Filtering Extension installed on one of my Windows 7 PCs.
I think the troubles with Firefox are a result of the recent changes that automatically switch users to the 64-bit version of Firefox. Webroot has a tool for fixing problems with the Webroot extensions but because of the recent change to Firefox the tool doesn't even recognize the Firefox installation (at least in my experience). Webroot is working on this issue and hopefully will have it addressed soon.

If you'd like to try a clean reinstall, as suggested by @ then you can do the following:

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
You can also submit a support ticket if you'd prefer.

Hope this info helps,
BD
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried reinstalling but had the same issue. The extension is definitely active in FF (and Chrome) but still not showing the website ratings. I'll just hold off and hopefully there will be an update to Webroot soon. 
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I just wanted to update anyone reading the thread. I reinstalled Webroot Anti-Virus on a clean install Windows 10x64 machine, after having bought a license for it. This time, the search engine safety ratings ARE showing in Chrome and Firefox. So Firefox having moved to a 64-bit platform is not the issue. The only change to all of this is Webroot was updated to version 9.0.18.44 from 9.0.18.38 before. Perhaps it was fixed? It's not in the change log, and since this issue has been intermittent and ongoing for some time, based on other forum posts, it may just be an isolated bug. 
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Some more info I found... This is from a readme file I found at C:ProgramDataWRDataPKGChrome
eadme.txt, which I assume is part of the Webroot AV installation:

"
Dear Webroot Web Threat Shield User,
With version 53 Google Chrome started to enforce the installation of extensions from their store.
That results in blocked and blacklisted extensions when manually installed via external .crx archives.
To avoid the possibility of our extension being blocked and blacklisted, we have decided to
no longer include our extension’s .crx archive in our package.
Instead, the extension will be automatically downloaded and installed from the store
(https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webroot-filtering-extensi/kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd).

If you have any questions or need support please reach out to us.
Best Regards,
Webroot Team"

So presumably when Webroot installs, it just runs a script in Chrome to download the extension from that link. As such, I assume that - at least for Chrome - if someone happens to not have the website safety rating feature after installing Webroot - they could just go to that link and download the extension, and have the same protection as they would normally.  

Hope this helps someone else who has the website safety ratings not showing up.