What are the best strategies to prevent ransom ware attacks.

• 20 February 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9
Obviously there is all the usual advice about suspicious emails and websites.  But, just how easy is it to be attacked just by visiting a website or opening an email without actually clicking on any links?  Are there scripts that can launch this ransom ware with no defensive action available?

For example, if I use IE 11 and enable all the Webroot options and don't agree to any dialog box asking for permission to modify my system, am I still vunerable?  What options should be set in IE 11 to minimize an attack?

What other strategies?  This seems like a huge threat.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello daveharney,

Nice to see you again.

As long as SecureAnywhere is installed prior to infection, All encrypting ransomware should be detected and removed before it is allowed to make any changes on the computer. Threat Research has many rules in place already to detect the known variants of Cryptolocker at or before execution, but it is important to remember that malware is constantly changing and cannot guarantee that Webroot will initially detect all new variants.

Please have a look here:
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/Best-practices-for-securing-your-environment-against/ta-p/191172

Hope this helps?

Userlevel 7
Hi daveharney

Welcome back.

If I may just add to what Sherry has posted. Indeed, ransomeware above most other forms of malware seems to be rampant and an area that is constantly evolving and Webroot are doing their very best to stay one step ahead of the curve...but there is no such thing s as 100% protection all of the time.

One good tipp to try to protect yourself from a possible ransomeware attack, other than having WSA watching your back, is to make sure that you have your key/important data backed up either on an external drive and /or in the Cloud, and in the cas eof the latter...airgapped, i.e., disconnected from your system when not required. That will offer you a good measure of protection should the miscreants manage to get through.

Another approach would be to use a layered defense, i.e., supplement or bolster protection with a 2nd line of defense such as an anti exploit app or the like. I cannot go into details here as this is a Webroot forum and to do so would be against Community Guidelines but you are welcome to private message me and I would be happy to share thoughts on this topic offline.

Finally, just be extra vigilent when it comes to clicking on links or downloads that arrive by email...that is one of the key vectors for ransomeware attacks.

Hope that something int he rambling reply above is of assistance?

Regards, Baldrick