Solved

What causes, "Page cannot be displayed" every morning.

Userlevel 1
My PC won't have internet service in the morning and will only show, "Page cannot be displayed". Geek Squad salesmen (Techs), say they need to come out to help me (for $50 to start). Office Max person said it wouldn't be my router. I told her about my issue and I was looking for a router. She said it was most likely a virus. How do I get a virus if WEBROOT Anti Virus has my back?
icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 5 December 2014, 03:15

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Kevin, welcome to the Community

My own opinion is that you may need to go over all of the programs that are starting at computer boot time.  If you get that every morning, but not after that, I am 99.9% sure we are not looking at a virus.  We are looking at a computer that has not yet finished connecting to the internet.

Check the signal strength of the WiFi, it could be having a slow time getting a connection established.  It MIGHT be the router, but it might also just be the router is too far from the comptuer.

If you have too many un-needed items being fired at boot time, that can slow down the boot process, which includes getting that internet connection going.

Or do what I used to do with my old computer: Get it turned on, logged into Windows, and THEN go make your morning coffee.  By the time my coffee was ready, so was the computer 🙂
Userlevel 1
I was told by a trusted source that it very possible I have a virus when, "Page can't be displayed" is displayd daily. I checked out quick fix on Youtube, but it screws up other things. Geek Squad's Technitions (salesperson) wants to come to my house for only $50 to ???. If it is a virus, how did it get passed my Webroot Anti Virus? Thank you in advance.
Userlevel 1
Thank you David. I was up late last night and just after 1am the "Page can't be displayed" was being displayed. We don't turn off PC except to reboot. I almost bought a router yesterday. The salesperson who's job it is to sell steered me away with, it may be a virus issue. All I know is that internet service is lost when I wake in morning, that I can reset it by rebooting modem and router, and by just rebooting modem or just the router does fix issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Kevin7337,

Welcome to the Community1

Here is a Microsoft artcle to look over if you want. Regardless you can issue a free support ticket with a paid subscription.

Also you could have PUAs which might also cause this. So if you'd like to follow these instructions, here they are below, Just encase it's not a virus.

What you are seeing and describing sounds like it may be what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's. You may also want to submit a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer at no extra charge, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.

To make sure that your WSA is checking for PUA's with the best proficiently, it sometimes helps to reset the PUA detection within WSA's settings. For PUA's that had previously been scanned and determined to be OK, but have since been added to detection/removal, you may want to complete the following steps:

• Open Webroot SecureAnywhere
  • Click on ‘Advanced Settings’ from the top right
  • Select ‘Scan Settings’ from the left side
  • Unselect the option “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button (you may have to enter in a CAPTCHA)
  • Reselect the option to “Detect Potentially Unwanted Applications”
  • Click on the Save button
  • Run another scan with Webroot and remove any items that get detected.
To help avoid PUA's in the future, remember to read all of the information when installing or updating software (Adobe downloads often have those "extra special offers"attached... PUA'S!: often the PUA included will be mentioned, and you can opt out of installing it.  Those check boxes you see? Usually only one of them is for the User Agreement of the software you want, the others are for the junk you don't.

I hope this helps you to understand, and resolve the problem and if not please let us know!

Userlevel 7
That does not sound like a virus at all to me.

You never turn off the computer.... have you tried to see if a computer reboot would work?  I am wondering if your router or modem is only assigning IP addresses for a 24 hour lease, or if your ISP is.  Power cycling the devices would of course reset that, but it might also work to reboot the computer.

You might check in the advanced settings of your router to see if there is a place to set lease length... 
Userlevel 7
Threads merged 🙂
Userlevel 1
Thank you miss for all the helpful info and your time.  K
Userlevel 7
Anytime Kevin!  We might have more info that can be of help.  Just a short while ago, one of our other Community members PM'd me with a similar problem... he had not seen your thread about this.

@  can you provide the references here that you showed me?  Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Thanks David. I have been rebooting since this started. My wife thinks this started happening when we got the smart tv, but it uses Wifi. Two weeks ago we didn't have to reboot anything. I probably will have to get the Geek Squad tech/salesperson in here. Thank you for your timely responces and your time. I'm glad to have Webroot and their Support. KG
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thank you miss for all the helpful info and your time.  K
Your quite Welcome Kevin! I wish I could of been more help but please do let us know how things work out for you because it doees provide help for the Community!

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Don't call the Geek Squad in quite yet..... once Dermot replies you might be able to handle it.   You MIGHT still have the problem of it losing the IP address daily, for whatever reason, but there may be a simple fix you can do within Windows to avoid reboots, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
Anytime Kevin!  We might have more info that can be of help.  Just a short while ago, one of our other Community members PM'd me with a similar problem... he had not seen your thread about this.

@  can you provide the references here that you showed me?  Thanks!
Sure David: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726889%28v=WS.10%29.aspx

and https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/event-id-1002-dhcp-error-unable-to-connect-to-the/4bf20710-a5e8-4746-8ca2-bb59586d9f91?page=1

HTH,

Dermot

Userlevel 1
  Thank you Miss Sherry for all of your time and knowledge in this matter. I have a Geek Squad contract but they try to get people to like me to have them come to their home for $50 just to ring your door bell and take a look at the PC. After my third attempt to get a real tech to fix my problem, he did, remotely. It was a virus. It's comforting to know I have.gifted people from WEBROOT to rely on.      Thanks again,..... Kevin7337
Userlevel 1
Hello David, Thank you for taking the time to help me with my PC issues. As it turns out it was a virus. I have a contract with Geek Squad, but lately they try to get folks like me to let them come to their homes for a $50 minimal charge. It was repaired remotely. I'm glad to know I have many friends now at WEBROOT that actually care about me and my PC. When ever I can I'll spread the word about WEBROOT and it's.gifted support group.  Thank you again,.........Kevin7337
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
  Thank you Miss Sherry for all of your time and knowledge in this matter. I have a Geek Squad contract but they try to get people to like me to have them come to their home for $50 just to ring your door bell and take a look at the PC. After my third attempt to get a real tech to fix my problem, he did, remotely. It was a virus. It's comforting to know I have.gifted people from WEBROOT to rely on.      Thanks again,..... Kevin7337
Hello Kevin,

Sorry you had issues and and happy to hear this was resolved. And you are Welcome!

Thank you for letting us know.

Here on the Forum we like to help others the best way we can!

Come on back anytime of you need help or have a question. Don't be a stranger and you welcome to join in for we are a likeable fun group!:D

Best Regards,
Userlevel 1
Hello again to the wonderful folks that tried to help me with that issue. Miss Sherry, ShortcircuiT, Dermot7. Did I miss anyone? Geek Squad came out and took care of the page issue. But, in doing so, he changed other things too. Tired of being exasperated, I Formatted the system. Undid everything the Geek Squad did, and me, and reloaded from my Pass Port Ultra. I know it's over kill times 10, but when someone I trusts recommends something I jump in with both feet. Thanks to WebRoot and the remarkable team of experts, I can Honestly say your my Trusted IT Family.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Good to hear from you Kevin! Sounds like everything is ok now? 

You  are again certainly always welcome! 😉