Solved

When does my Webroot antivirus product subscription end?

• 23 December 2012
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have a brand new, unopened DVD case containing and labelled as such: "Webroot Antivirus with Spy Sweeper - Personal Edition".
It has a Best Buy Serial Number on it which I believe may be of important information towards helping me figure out when it expires. I think it lasts as long as my 2-year Tech Support plan which I've been on for about a year now but I haven't used the webroot AV because I had a previous subscription with another provider so I'm guessing that it may just very well be 2 years.
Anyone?
icon

Best answer by AgentMikeW 25 December 2012, 03:46

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Any Best Buy serial number on the back means that it is a Best Buy Subscription Services package and does not operate without being activated on Best Buy's side.  They are able to activate it without opening it.  It is active from when it is activated by Best Buy until when they say it will end.

You can check the status of the subscription by contacting Best Buy directly with the keycode and serial information.

Important to note that the old Antivirus with Spy Sweeper version is over a year old now.  All copies of that that are activated by Best Buy are automatically set for free conversion to Webroot SecureAnywhere.

If you'd like to send the keycode to me by Private Message, you may do so and I will be able to check on that system in the near future at least. I can't guarantee when I would be able to check as compared to Best Buy looking it up on their system, since i am home for the holidays.
Userlevel 1
I do work for Best Buy, so I am familiar with how our activation and subscription works. If you purchased the Tech Support, it comes with a matching term of AntiVirus software. Since you said you purchased a 2 year subscription of Tech Support, then you would get a 2 year subscription to Webroot AntiVirus software, as long as everything packaged out properly. Without looking at your receipt information I won't be able to verify that. If you want to verify the subscription status, then you can contact 1-888-237-8289 and ask for our Subscription Software team. The subscription for the AntiVirus software would start at date of purchase, and not from date of install like some other software the Webroot sells.

As Kit mentioned, the subscription software the Webroot and Best Buy have setup is that if you received a Spy Sweeper edition, then it will be automatically enrolled into Webroots newest SecureAnywhere edition. Sometimes it doesn't update efficently, but the serial number should activate the newest version which you can get from www.webroot.com/bestbuydownloads.

The answers I have found up to this point are unacceptable. I have to contact Best Buy and provide a cesurity key code simply to find out when my subscription / service ends? That borders on absurd! Why isn't it clearly displayed on the My Account tab of my WEbroot Secure Anywhere window? This should be a simple / easy thing. I feel that anything short of it implies that Webroot or Best Buy is trying to hide something and / or will try to sell my something whanever I need to contact then for something that should be so obvious.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
The answers I have found up to this point are unacceptable. I have to contact Best Buy and provide a cesurity key code simply to find out when my subscription / service ends? That borders on absurd! Why isn't it clearly displayed on the My Account tab of my WEbroot Secure Anywhere window? This should be a simple / easy thing. I feel that anything short of it implies that Webroot or Best Buy is trying to hide something and / or will try to sell my something whanever I need to contact then for something that should be so obvious.
Entirely depends on whether you bought it through Best Buy or directly.

Now, mind you, it's been a few years, so the process may have changed, but back in 2012 Best Buy didn't actually push any date info to Webroot at all. Since people could get a monthly subscription at Best Buy and could also turn it off in the middle of the month and get a refund, Best Buy didn't want confusing numbers. Nor did they want to be in a situation where the person was on an annual subscription, paying monthly, but missed a payment or wanted to change things.

So when it's purchased through Best Buy, all Webroot knows is "Turn this key on, turn this key off" data from Best Buy. The folks at Best Buy have all the rest of the info, which is why working with them was necessary. I'm also pretty sure they had a web site you could use to look at that as well. And once you have the information once, no need to contact them anymore, right?

So Webroot was not hiding what they didn't know, and Best Buy of course needs to be able to identify what subscription you're talking about. And it may even be different nowadays four years or so later, but even if it isn't, it's not a bad thing.