Why are so many of my task files corrupted and how do i fix the problem?

• 16 July 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
I went to task manager and I notice task after task is corrupted.  How do I clean up that mess?
Also a run of Webroot in dicated that I have many fragmented files, however when I went and clicked on "fragmented files" to clean them nothing happens.  It puts me on my home page.
Thank you for any assistance. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi busno29

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Not quite sure how or where in Task Manager you are being given an indication that task are 'corrupted'...would you explain how and where this determination can be seen?

In terms of the 'fragmented' files; was it a run of the System Analyzer that indictaed that this is the case? If so then what exactly did you click on to clean them? If it was something in System Analyzer then I have to inform you that WSA does not provide functionality to clean (or is that defragment) files...for that you will need to use the built in Windows Defragmenter.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Ok.  I go to control panel (wind. 7)  and I go to System and Security, then to Administrative Tools, then to Task Scheduler.  In Task Scheduler....scheduled tasks comes up and this is what i get.:  Really I have over 50 different pop ups example: 1.
Task(P03F1FA9-80CA-4905-83CA-2C364446843) The Task Image is corrupt of has been tampered with.
2. Task (RENDEXSEARCHROOT)  The Task Image is corrupt of has been tampered with.
I must go through over 50 of these notices and click ok before I can get out of these.

I know Webroot does not defrag computers.  I go to control panel, Administrative Tools, Defrag Your Hard Drive, click on it and nothing happens.  This also happens if I go to accessories and click on Defrag Your Hard Drive.  I am simply kicked out to my home page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
If I could suggest a review of this reference as a possible solution to the issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-disk-defragmenter-does-not-work/87965977-1252-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?auth=1

Perhaps Step 7 might work for you? 
Userlevel 1
Thank you Dermont7.  I think I will go to system restore to see if this will fix my problem.  It was one of the options in your reply. I think I need to go back to April 1 as I remember something seemed different at about mid April. I will let you know what happens. Thanks, again.
Userlevel 7
Ah, OK...I think that I understand now.

Please take a look at this thread from the Microsoft Support Forums, which may help in relation to the corrupted Task Scheduler.

I will also provate message you a link to a site (that I cannot recommend here) but I have used successfully, and that may give you more to work with.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello busno29.

You are most welcome, and yes please get back to us with your findings, or questions. Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Hello Dermot7:  I just could not  bring my self to try and fix the registery errors fearing that I would make things worse.  I am good at that sort of proposition, making things worse.  Actually I excel  at it.  I guess we all have to be good at something.  Thank you thought, for the suggestion.  I was also thinging of doing a restore point application, but again, I would probably make things worse.  I think you were going to send me another suggestion but I don't know where to find it.  Thank you for patience. 
Userlevel 7
Hi busno29

Completely understand your reticence. In these circumstances I would Open a Support Ticket, explain to the Support Team your position and ask them if they would be prepared to undertake the application of the .reg file for you. You lose nothing by asking and if for any reason they decline they may yet be able to reassure you that if you apply it yourself youwill cause no further issues. ;)

Regards, Baldrick